• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 2 cents!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 2 cents!

If I may offer my past experiences from the last few years.

Here in central alberta last year, anyone who actually got a canola crop growing, it really did not get growing untill mid to late june! Those same guys were able to get that crop off last fall, late but off. Not great, but a crop none the less.

Two years ago a neighbour of mine had to reseed his canola on june 15 because we had a freak rainstorm/hailstorm and it wiped out his crop. net result a bout a 15 bu crop. Not great but a crop none the less.

Two out of the last 10 years, it has been so dry that our canola did not germinate untill it rained. When did it rain you ask? June 4! Those years we still had great crops!

Just food for thought for those of you who are still waiting to seed. If you can still get in within a week, I would still do it.

You must be smoking some real cool stuff. One 1/2 of crop is just seeded in Sask. how would that all get in by next week with rain next 5 days. Its middle of June. Second last year check the books hasn't happened ever in history of Canada a open fall till end of November and hot. Third were not talking just a few fields that have problems and that's what Albertans don't get. WET WET WET.

Comment

Quick calculations at 15 bus/ac:
      seed RR $50.00/ac incl TUA
      fertilizer $50.00 /ac
      fuel $10.00/ac
      chemical $12.00/ac
      machinery cost $30.00/ac
      Total costs without rent and insurance premiums $152.00/ac
      profit at $9.00/bus is negative $17.00/ac.
      My 2 cents.

Comment

All I am saying is there is potentially a light at the end of the tunnel! Screw any calculations, as of right now, I can still pencil out a loss even with my crop in the ground! If you cant get the crop in within the next week or so, whatever, I'm just trying to give some hope. Also I believe it was you on here all last year saying that it was going to freeze in aug oh wait, its now sept 1. Ok its going to freeze by sept 10. ok theres no way its going to stay frost free till oct1. ok now it will never stay frost free till oct 15. etc. and when did it freeze for the first time last year? Quit your bitchen, and take a little hope in for once!

Comment

I hope the banker leaves me my house.

Comment

dfarms you dont get it do you. WATER WATER EVERYWHERE>

Comment

dfarms you are right - on the last two years, it can and has happend. But look at the northern Pacific ocean temps now compared to the last two years. We have frooze in mid Aug and it can happen again - the odds are against us as of now.

Comment

You **** nuts sitting at your cabins and done seeding
                for weeks dont need to start playing odds against
                what may or may not happen to those that are fighting
                a fight which may go one of two ways.

Comment

I am a week away from seeding IF IT WAS HOT AND DRY. Let alone the damp scummy crap for weather we have forecast. As well, I can't seed my whole crop in a day, If that day came.

Sinking up to ankles in mud on the mid slopes, an inch on the hilltops, and over the boots in the low areas. Could send messages in bottles to CWB office in Winnipeg from every field I farm as the water is running quite nicely off of them...

Wait a second, gotta run!!!

I have seeded some most years in June, but never have I gone this late with NOTHING IN THE FRICKIN GROUND.

Comment

The soil around the winter wheat roots is actually dry. It welcomed the 1/2 inch that came last evening. Have any of you who struggle, so regularly, to get a spring crop in ever considered the fall alternative?

Christ, at least one of you either went to sleep, or woke up on the wrong side of the Buddha.

Comment

Checking looked at field of winter wheat yesterday. Flooded dead areas 24% gone. Dying and really yellow 12% rest nice and needs some fert floated on and disease control. Oh cant get truck in field because floater is stuck in driveway. God man take a drive and see its flooding. Do you think this is normal.

Comment

Bad sign, Manitoba Crop Insurance claims are already higher than for an average full year!!

Comment

Sask crop ins will be a record no doubt.
                          Unseeded acreage payments will be huge.

Comment

SF3.

I've experienced it once where every 1/10th inch shower started the water runs flowing. What wasn't seeded became winter wheat that fall.

Since you've asked about normal, well, it's not normal for floaters to get stuck in the driveway. It's not normal for machinery to be wrecked. It's not normal for fields to be torn up. If you're curious as to why it's happening to you, look in the mirror, and not the fields.

What I'm hearing is that this situation is a regular problem in certain areas, with the comment "I've got zero crop sowed.", and I'm wondering if their falls are like their springs.

I guess I'm blessed in farming "shit, or crap soils", as has been described by those who have their's rated in the top ten productive RM brackets. 64% of your neighbour's nice still beats 100% of my nice winter wheat.

Comment

I am even starting to wonder if it will even dry up enough for winter wheat. It has rained another inch here last night and it hasnt stopped yet. Tried to spray yesterday and the standing water is everywhere, you wouldnt beleive it unless you saw it. The crops seeded are finished they cant stand that much water. Even if we can seed winter wht that is next years crop not this years. I feel for those who have pulled out all the stops to get the seed into the ground just to watch it die.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...