• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeded acres?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeded acres?

What percent of the 17 mill ac farcast is in the ground? I am guessing 12 mill at this point.( roughly 70%). The next ten days look pretty iffy.

Province wide 55% in our area east central 15%.

Comment

Sorry, canola acres.

Comment

Canola acres 7 million because east of Saskatoon is hardly started.

Comment

And if Canola Council is right those remaining 10 Mil acres will yield (1.7% X 24 days), 41% less than May 1st seeded,@35bu/ac = 143,000,000 bu less(3.25 MMT). End users should be very worried about now.

Comment

Exactly my ponit boys, run the real numbers and the crushing plants have to be shi!!ing thenselevs about now for fall. Four years without a fall frost and there is a potential for a train wreck.(80% IMO) Leave any axtra canola in the bin at this point.

Comment

The important ones are 100 percent seeded.

Comment

What important ones? Lentils in mud or your Canola that you seeded 1st that froze. Hm

Comment

There is not a single crop that is 100% done, did we miss something?

Comment

I seded canola in april ..Sprayed it the other day...No frost damage here...

Comment

yet.... I have said that before.lol

Comment

I think with the winking smiley face he means HIS canola acres are all in.
                        All we have in is our Canola. Be shut down till at least June 5 after this morn. The week ahead looks WET as well. Already switched 1/3 acres to chemfallow and that may climb to 1/2 in another week. Wheat, durum,barley, oats and canary are break even at best with a good crop. Disease and frost and lower yields (mudding in/late seeding)makes the chances of profit 25%. And I am not excited about a repeat of last fall being our BEST chance of getting the crop off. Glyphosate at $3.10/litre makes for a less stressful summer and fall. Winter wheat is an option for later.

Comment

ry0972, how do you manage your chemfallow? will you spray all through the year or will you make one or more tillage operations(perhaps 2" spikes)? Few years back tried chemfallow, first year went with the idea of cutting costs, so only sprayed when growth got over the stuble height or just before anything looked like it might go to seed. That wasn't good because things like buckwheat can grow too large and cause a huge headache the next year with plugging. So tried the next year, sprayed often watching the buckwheat and other weeds down at ground level, never letting things get big. More operations and costs, but no plugging the next year. Problem, TOO WET, potholes everywhere, wouldn't dry out. Land also seemed to be compacted and lacking proper tilth. this on clay loam ground. What operations do you do, on what soil type?

Comment

The last few years we have been heavy harrowing at the same time we are hitting the rest of the farm then once stuff gets growing ( but still small) we hit it with 1/2 to a full liter (depending on grasses) of clear-out or other generic glyphosate.
                            Then we have been trying to get some use out of our cultivators and working it the rest of the year. This gets rid of buckwheat, NLHB, dandelion and hard to kill grasses. We also run the rock hook and many hours on the rock picker through the year.
                            Skimming ( field cult if possible)it off late in the fall if there is moisture keeps it very clean long into spring.
                            We also ran into trouble a few wetter years where the next spring we almost couldn't seed the TRUE chemfallow fields, buried the 9270 with spade grips heavy-harrowing.
                            With the near $3 glyphosate we bought this spring and the # of acres ( some are canola stubble)we might have to leave I think more spraying with only one maybe two tillage operations.
                            If we decide to seed some WW or Fall Rye it will be on unworked ground.
                            Another 1 1/2 -2" today and some flurries this morn!!
                            No where near as bad off as many but
                            still not looking very good!!

Comment

thanks for the responding, where are you located, roughly?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...