• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

02 vs 09 drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think many farmers in Alberta will
    be worrying about the hay being too wet to
    cut, more likely working because there is
    nothing to cut.

Comment

Yep it is interesting how we all have problems on the opposite end of the spectrum. An outfit in Winnipeg has come up with a haying solution for too wet. They are called Bio Agronics and have a product called hay saver. It is made from lactic acid and acidophilus and we have used it for several years. I start baling at 30% and have never had a spoiled bale when applied correctly. The hay keeps all it's leaves and stays soft and palatable. Just a thought in case you want to get right out of the box. I have given up on the 12' discbine idea and am going to choose between a 25' or 30' swather. Alfalfa hasn't flowered yet so can't decide whether to cut early and hope for rain and regrowth or go after volume at the expense of quality.

Comment

My neighbour has ended up cutting haylage with duals on his tractor because he kept getting stuck in the hayfields without them. Gonna have to tear the fields up when he's done but he'll have feed.

Comment

Grassfarmer sorry it took so long to answer. Yes it is a wreck for grain guys. Inputs were incredibly high last year and this year, crop insurance doesnt come close to covering expenses and I hear guys are buying out their canola contracts for 2 or 3 weeks now. We made decent money last year but that was the first time in quite a while that margins were good (and everybody had their hand out, chem/fert/fuel/custom all jumped up)
          I think a lot of guys arent going to be around in the spring.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...