• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Vegetarians Are Winning.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Vegetarians Are Winning.

Why Vegetarians Are Winning
    By Andrew Campbell
    Farms.com Media

A few weeks ago my fiancée’s cousin from New Zealand came for a visit. Like many other families, a cousin coming half way around the world called for big meals, drinks on the deck, and lots of story telling.

But what made this even more interesting – was the fact this cousin is very vegetarian, all in the name of animal rights. When it comes to eggs and dairy, free-range and organic is the only way to go. And the same organic policy is in effect for most other foods.

Now being the farm kid of the group, you can bet we don’t see eye to eye on a few of these issues. To avoid a family fiasco though, neither of us brought up the subject and kept things as content as we could. However, just being around her, I was able to learn a couple of tough lessons fairly quickly. Lessons that I think each farmer and farm organization needs to realize.

First of all, as farmers, we must realize the consumer is always right. Now in the case of the belief of the mistreatment of animals, of course we know it’s not right – but the consumer believes they are and they prove that by where they spend their dollar. In the case of this cousin, she believes she is right by not buying any meat.

Second. There are more and more people who are getting so far removed from the farm they can’t even say they spent the summer at Grandma and Grandpa’s. This classic line from politicians works for the middle-aged population. It doesn’t work for those just wrapping up their college or university educations who have known nothing else but the suburbs. This is proven by a recent study asking urban-dwellers about agriculture. One of the numbers jumping out at me put 56 percent of respondents believing beef farmers properly fed and watered their animals. Does that mean 44 percent believe they don’t? That’s a real issue of people simply not knowing.

And third, this trend is only going to continue as these young consumers start their own families, sharing their traditions and values of the importance of an organic pine-nut salad versus a thick and juicy steak.

So how do we turn this around?

Education is one of the most used terms and can work in this situation. But who are we educating? Are we educating young teens or their parents that need it just as much as their children?

A marketing campaign might also be a good idea, but can one work with a few hundred thousand dollars versus the hundreds of millions of dollars that animal rights organizations hold?

It’s time to take issue with attacks against our industry. In any other business, lawsuits and government crack-downs would stop false claims in their tracks. Why doesn’t this happen for agriculture? Merely lobbying for science-based rules isn’t working. Each of us can think of a handful of examples where a local government went against science and instead in favour of public perception. Yes, action will cost a lot of money. But how much does it cost when we lose producers and are regulated to eating an organic pine-nut salad?

What do you think we should do?

Look at how we grow our food. We raise beef in nothing but there own pee and crap and shove what they call food down there throat so that every pound gains them 5 pounds. We pour chemicals into our soil that destroy soil and grow crops with chemical after chemical . More and more diseases are comming out and being linked to such practices. So what do you expect. We fianlly have people from the industry breaking away and telling what they saw and try to make safer products and we call them snake oil salesmen. We have chemical companies pouring money into unvirsities so that the proffesors can't speak the truth because they know who's paying there salary. We have retailer filling farmers full of bs just so they can make a dollar. We have one of the oldest practices on earth that feeds the world and it's nothing but a big marketing scam. isn't there a happy medium were we are not fully organic or fully conventional. if you grew up on a farm ask your mom when you were a kid if she ever had to add beef flavouring to make gravy NEVER but today we do because it's tasteless. ALl agriculture has become is a huge marketing scam. The REAL people who still love this thing we call agriculture are out there promoting products so we can use less harmfull products but unless people and companies and websites support them how can we do things better. The human race i belive can understand a bit of fertilizer or chemical or antibiotics to keeps things clean and healthy but we have gone to far.

Once we can farm and ranch and raise livestock in a decent manner then this is what we get. Stop taking money from the duponts and monsanto's and cargills and support the little guys who have better products and ideas. Then you will start chaning this industry. Shove your radio or t.v add and get your butts to the schools invite schools to farms and educate. From kindergarten to college educate them all. In school we have to learn about all culture and history of canada but nothing i mean nothing on what keeps us alive farming.

Comment

First off, I'm not so sure they are winning. I think they do have more attention in the media, but they are still the minority. I'm more concerned with those who do buy meat. They are the ones we need to keep happy. It's all about image, and as producers, we haven't spent nearly the time promoting the true face of agriculture that we should have.

Agriculture needs to be more than the generic image of a tractor in a field or a steer in a feedlot. There needs to be faces and stories put to the it. We need to get our message out there and let people know that we care a whole lot more about the quality of their food than the activists would like them to think. Right now they are only getting one side of the story, and there is an agenda attached to it.

I did my part on Saturday. We had an engagement party for our son and future daughter-in-law, and the beef I served managed to appeal to not one, but both of the vegetarians we had invited. ;-) I even convinced one to drink milk! I think the fact that they were standing in the yard the steer came from, and they knew who had raised it had something to do with their willingness to try it. Not only try it, but enjoy it too! There are probably lots of others who are not eating meat right now, who would do so if only they knew more about the source.

Comment

Found this video that shows just what misconceptions exist about food.

>

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g93by7AwdPs

Comment

Go to crops i got a link for two videos over there. Anyone can make a video and put it on youtube. at the end of the videos they say who each person is and they are very very highly profeesional people.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...