• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle waterers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle waterers

I have a cheap Canarm waterer which has given nothing but problems. I have water with a high iron content. The valve mechanism is always being flushed with the outflow. The iron builds up to the point that the valve seizes up and won't shut off. Are their ANY waterers out their that have a better system? My toilet valve mechanism has worked for years with no problems. Are their any valves BEHIND the outflow that would work? I retrofitted with a Ritchie valve but the floatation device is too large for my cover so am using a ball float. This does not have enough floation to shut off the valve unless I cut the inflow pressure to the point where the bowl does not fill fast enough for the cows to drink without causing a fight as they get impatient. Surely there must be some solution.

Thanks...Doug

Hi Doug! I'm glad to here we aren't the only ones who have had the same problem and fought with it for several years. We also have very high iron in our water. Several years back we threw out that waterer, poured down a new concrete pad and placed a Hoskins waterer on top. The Hoskins waterers have a stainless steel bowl, a copper valve and the heating element is suspended in the are under the waterer. Without touching the bowl you are not warming the water but only the air under and around the valve. Now that I think of it, it has been serving us for over ten years and we have yet to open the top to service the valve. We have since installed two more of these waterers and have never experienced any problems. The are available through peavy mart, competitively priced and are sure to please you.

Comment

Thanks Squiggy...Will check this out.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...