• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

foot & mouth vaccine

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foot & mouth vaccine

I have heard rumblings of a vaccine available for foot & mouth. -- why are we are sitting around waiting for it to get here????? anyone know anything about the vaccine? if it really isn't available as yet should our researches be working on it day and night>>>> I don't want to sit around and wait for it to get here!!!!

There is in fact a vaccine available.
    There are however a few problems with using it. Hopefully my explanation is not too confusing.
    There are 7 different types of Foot and Mouth disease (subtypes of the disease). They are A, O, C, Asia 1 and SAT 1, 2 and 3. The vaccine is only effective against one of the subtypes.
    If we vaccinate for FMD then animals will show up positive when tested (they will produce antibodies due to the vaccine). For a country importing meat or live animals it becomes impossible to tell if an animal is positive because it was vaccinated or because it is carrying the disease. Therefore the borders would close to our exports. To further complicate the issue, if we were to get one of the other strains, it would be impossible to identify the infected animals as infected and vaccinated animals would all test positive.
    The vaccine is in effect a double edged sword. As well, all FMD vaccines are killed virus and are effective for 4-6 months at the most.

Comment

Many thanks for your response. Lots of info that I wasn't aware of. Looks like we haven't many options. My heart goes out to all the cattle producers dealing with FMD and the turmoil it must be causing in their lives.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.