• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foot and Mouth

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foot and Mouth

It would seem the foot and mouth epidemic is running rampant in Europe. Now it is in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates as well as Argentenia. I suppose it will be just a matter of time until it is here. I was just wondering if anybody knew what sort of compensation the government pays if you have to destroy your herd? It might be a good time to get out of the cattle business while the prices are strong.

In Europe, if the government destroys your animals and they are healthy, you will get full compensation. If they have foot and mouth, you will get half of the value of the animal. But in Canada..... I doubt you would get money even if your animals were healthy. Only in Canada could a farmer get screwed over by his LIBERAL government.

Comment

Well it seems to me that the government used to pay compensation for cattle that had to be destroyed for bangs, but then they still used the meat. In the 1952 outbreak they paid $75 per cow which was about the going price, I believe. I guess that if foot and mouth broke out in Quebec or Ontario there would be no problem with compensation but if it was in the west things could be a little different!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...