• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow Silage ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow Silage ?

Has anyone had experience with making silage that has snow in it? You know, the scene where you're putting up some second cut alfalfa as silage, and get an early snow. We had just started such a field last fall and it snowed a bit overnight. I believed that by the time the forage arrived at the pit there wouldn't be any appreciable amount of snow left, but to my surprise the "amount" of "white" coloration seemed to be about one-third to one-quarter!
    Has anyone had a similar experience, and how did it turn out ??

Sure! I'll reply to this one since no-one else seems interested !

Due to the drought in our area, we are still feeding cattle, and recently opened up that silo of "snow silage". To my surprise, it had NOT fermented, particularly where there was a lot of snow in the mix. However, luckily, the product seems to be just like when we put it there - in other words, it's just chopped second cut alfalfa with a bit of snow in it !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...