• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rebreeding heifer following c-section

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebreeding heifer following c-section

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the subject of rebreeding a Gelbvich heifer after she had to have a c-section with her first calf. Heifer, birthweight 96 pounds. She's a terrific mother and it would be a shame to lose her, but we're not sure if she will have the same problem next year. The vet said her pelvis was too small to let the calf's head pass through. She's a purebred Gelbvich and weights approximately 1200 pounds.

You raise a good question, she may have the ability to raise a calf but can she deliver one. I don't recall any research papers that can help make the decision for you but from personal experience let someone else find out. If the Vet's opinion says the birth canal is too small for a 96 pound calf what size calf is meant for. If you herd birth weights are in that range odd are she will have trouble again. At these market prices for a live calf then it makes the c section bill easier to swallow but when times get tough the will you get your money back.

The heifer may continue to grow but not by much, she's 1200 now maybe grow to 15 as a mature cow but will the frame grow or will it be fat, and muscle?

Then we raise the question about retaining any of her heifer calves. If I remember right pelvic size was to a small degree heritable, which means odds are better that her daughters will also have a smaller pelvis and the cycle continues. I'll hunt around for some research papers that can help with the pelvic size dilema,

Personally let someone else find out if she can calve on her own or even better let the packers measure her.

Comment

Absolutely agree with Jeff ! Right on the money - esp. the packer measurement!

Comment

I agree with moderator a good cow is measured first with calving ability . When you have calves coming from every direction the last thing that you need is to run to the vet to deliver a calf and lets do the math calf sell price less production cost = profit, what is left after a c section VERY LUCKY TO BREAK EVEN!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.