• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New approach at ABP

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The complexity of the situation of the industry is magnified by those groups and individuals that make big issues of no brainers. Even though the government and these groups seem to have the upper hand at the moment, private back room brainstorm groups have looked at several strategies that would gradually position the industry in a better place. The key element that I see as a block is the cooperation needed from battle wery industry stakeholders. Emerging technologies and markets have provided several of the foundation blocks to reduce input costs and increase margins while trimming the fat cats in governments and groups that spend our/your money representing the industry (ya right)!
    Either way, some of you will think the industry is sameole -sameole, some of you will think it's a lost cause, some of you will want to do something about and will need to find a rally point.
    With agri-ville offline you all don't have much time to find that point unless you want to disperse anyway! Good luck to you all

Comment

Thanks for posting this stuff, Randy. Much appreciated, especially the Stock Growers response.

I did want to address one point. Why is it that "we" need to research how much value there would be in BSE testing? That isn't really a producer concern, nor should it be a CCA, ABP, SSGA, or Canadian government concern, but rather the concern of the companies who wish to do the testing. I wish I could open a business where I had several groups asking the government to do my market research for me.

Just a random thought...

On another related topic, Randy, you mentioned that several of the ABP producer reps voted against the BSE testing resolutions set forth at the AGM. Do you know if the producers in the zones that those ABP people represented voted for or against BSE testing access? If the producers voted for BSE testing access, and the zone reps voted against at the AGM, perhaps the producers in those zones should be made aware of the failings of their zone reps.

Rod

Comment

Hmmm, on a side note, how the heck do I edit my post?

In the meantime, please change "I wish I could open a business where I had several groups asking the government to do my market research for me." to "I wish I could open a business where I had someone else doing my market research for me." The original statement was misleading.

Comment

DiamondS, Regarding whether ABP reps vote the way their "constituents" wished them to - that doesn't really seem to be an issue under the current set up. ABP seems to be a reverse democracy run from the top down rather than from the bottom up. Thus producers have no voice within ABP. Until the majority of producers wake up to this fact and hold them accountable we will get nowhere.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...