• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay prices?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay prices?

The hay I grow goes into small bales, if possible, for the horse trade. A custom type guy does it all. It was all good this year.
    We had a fairly good carryover but will need to buy some. The couple of local guys I usually buy from have priced it pretty much like last year...in that 2.5 to 3 cent range. Now I hear some very cheap prices but am very reluctant to buy hay from someone I don't know...I've seen the effects of weed infested, cheap hay!
    Also by the time freight is factored in, I doubt I'd get a better deal? And besides I'd like to help out these neighbors...if they go out of business I might have to grow my own!

I just bought 350 tonnes for $41 a tonne delivered to the cows mouth. I've got another 800 tonnes spoke for at about $45 delivered. There's lots of cheaper priced hay aroun d than that but these guys have been good suppliers other years.

Comment

...been around to quite a few places here in central ab...hay everywhere...but with grain prices going up i can see the price of hay also improving...currently selling for 50 dollars a ton in my area...

Comment

blackjack: I see by your price my guys aren't very much different? Quite frankly I wouldn't want to try to make much money growing hay at $50/ton? The 100 acres of hay I do have is kind of a money loser even when it goes to the horse trade! I do it on a share deal with a hay guy but I get the pleasure of buying the fertilizer and the tarps...he does all the work and gets it sold/delivered etc.! Probably works out close to what I get in my share deal on canola in an average year...sometimes a bit more.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...