• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade in older animals to US delayed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willowcreek: If the border was open to breeding cows, you Americans could be buying cows for about half that $1500! You are paying way to much!
    Sooner or later that border is coming down and I think you know it?
    When it does that $1500 cow has a fairly healthy loss if Canadian cows are half price?
    You guys are in expansion right now? I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. It seems your government is cutting all these side deals with Australia and South America that could flood your market with cheap beef in the near future? It doesn't look like the Bush administration is doing much to protect you? What happens to your $1500 investment when you start to compete with 35 cent beef?

Comment

JD4me: When the border opened, with restrictions, to exports of UTM it removed a lot of political pressure that existed on both sides of the border to resume trade. That original rule would have seen imports of at least cow beef and if I recall, live cows too. But it got changed after it was published.

I believe the press that was being generated at that time by the lobbying on both sides of the border, both for and against resuming trade in beef was found to be hurting demand for beef. The lobbying that is taking place now is quieter and out of the press. Still the delay is unacceptable, at least from this cow producers point of view.

We keep finding those BSE positives, and positives born after the feed ban. Like do we really have to keep shooting ourselves in the foot? The U.S. can find or not find BSE positives at will. We need to clue into the fact that there are policital ramifications to finding BSE positives. That said I note with considerable satisfaction that Japan is accepting imports of our beef and not from the U.S. which I think speaks volumes. However the U.S. is making it clear that they intend to use our BSE positives to further their protectionist agenda. It does not seem to matter that the U.S. has BSE too.

The future is clear. Cross border trade in live cows is not something we as an industry should expect soon and if it resumes we should not expect that the trade will continue uninterrupted long term. Canada must develop it own packing industry for cows and until that happens we are going to be getting about $400 less per cow than we should.

The U.S. is playing us like a puppet. They have no intention of opening the border yet keep dangling the prospect of an open border so we do not develop our own packing industry.

Comment

...for the plants to be built up here... our cattle association would have to go to the media and put the message out that we are no longer going to pick winners and losers...and that there will be support to help the new plants ...guess what guys its not going to happen... with nilsson's acquistion of packing plants in the states they will be able to play both sides of border as has tyson and cargill...putting extreme pressure on any new competition...good luck to all of us to find that lowest cost cow...cause we're going need it...one other thing the big boys in the feedlot industry will make more connections to raise feeders on both sides of the border as well...why the doom and gloom i do not see government helping to insure more dollars at the farm gate while promoting to ranchers to lower your cost on raising that cow...what a great policy...

Comment

blackjack: Just lately I'm beginning to wonder if I am some kind of retard to still be in the cow business! I keep thinking of Cam Ostercamps article about how things have changed and where we are headed? Nothing has changed?
          I have wondered what Nillsons were doing when they bought the Swifts plants? They must be banking on that border opening fairly soon...like within a year? Now love them or hate them, those Nillson boys aren't dumbies...
          The other day I drove down a road in the east end of the county. There were three farms on that road that all had cows last year. The corrals and fields are empty, the rows of hay have not been touched! Obviously all three packed it in last year at some time! I'm starting to wonder if I will be about the last small cow/calf guy left in the country?

Comment

...cowman...i agree with you on your assessment of the nilsson brothers ...and also the price family in that they had the foresight to invest in the packing and service part of the industry...if a person takes a look at the farms that have been successful it usually is that they are one step ahead of the crowd...

...in my family we have been able to be successful keeping cost down in that we shared the major machinery ...but now we are moving into the next era where our kids are getting older and each individual family usually have their own ideas how things should move ahead...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...