• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you live on this???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you live on this???

emerald has raised the point on a different thread that "serious" producers in her area are actually expanding right now which, as cowman has pointed out, would go against logic if calves are going to .80 over the next few years as I have predicted.

In my area the serious producer has just flat-out quit--I'm the last one left. And, in my opinion, people who are buying bred cows at $1,200 per have not done the numbers. But that's what makes a market-different opinions.

Now cowman on a different thread has said his costs to keep a cow each year are $340. rkaiser's costs this year are $465 per cow and farmers_son's costs are $360.32. I think there are costs missing from each of these guys, like taxes and transportation, but let's not quibble on the numbers and just take the average of the three which is $388.43.

Now, for a 100-head herd, the stats show that the average weaning percentage is 90 per cent based on cows exposed to a bull. You can argue with these figures but that's what the ag records show. If you have a 10% cull rate you have to keep 10 heifers back. So your revenues are 80 calves plus 10 cull cows. Your costs are $388.43 times 100 cows equals $38,843. If we assume that you receive $300 for each of your cull cows than you must get $35,843 from your 80 calves to break-even. That means your average revenue per calf must be $448.03 to break even.

I think calf prices (500 lbs)this fall will be around $1.20 (average of heifers and steers). That would give you $600 before check-off, auction mart fees, etc. or about $570 net per calf so this year your 100-head herd will make you about $9,757 in total.

Of course, you have to replace your bull sometime so take that off the total. But, if we ignore that, than consider that if I'm correct than we have two or three more years of declining prices from here, then two or three years of prices going up from the trough but still below where we are right now. And, if you buy a $1,200 cow and she has nine calves for you, you have to add $100 per calf per year to depricate the cost of the cow to her final cull value. Ouch.

However, let's say I'm wrong and prices stay where they are right now and you average $1.20 per pound for your weaned calves. Can anyone live on $9,757 (remember you've got to buy or steal a bull somewhere too) per year? How about a 300-head herd which will give you $29,271?

I can say, for sure, that $29,271 for a 300-head herd does not support my large family and their hockey habits for a year. And if calves go to $1 a pound that number goes to $5,271 annual income. I think at the trough of the current cycle, prices will be lower than $1 per pound.

As I said before, different opinions are what creates a market. The people who are buying breds right now must think prices are going to go back up from here. Like farmers_son, they don't believe in the cattle cycle. As for me, I've lost and made money before in the cycle and like to think I've learned a little. So my cows will go this fall and I'll try to keep things low-cost around here until I can buy again in a few years.

kpb

The answer is right before your eyes. You CAN NOT LIVE ON THIS MUCH MONEY IN THIS DAY AND AGE.

I will expand on this later but farms will not support a family any longer.
    So farmers-- GET OFF OF YOUR BUTTS.
    For now a few points until I get some time to expand on this topic.

1)There are lots of good paying jobs that pay over $200 per day. These jobs still allow for time off to look after your farm. (these jobs are in Alberta)If you can drive a truck there is good money to be made.

2)A cattle operation can make money if you do not need to make a living from them. Cattle are a way to avoid tax and to store up equity quickly. Cattle can still pay some bills but will not supply the huge amount of money needed to raise a family. The expectations of a family and their needs are greater than expectations of one generation ago.

3)Any one that thinks that the farm life style is good, must think that being broke is the way to be. Get a job and at least be able to pay your power bill and be able to put gas in your truck. Take you wife out on a date and buy dinner. That is, if you still have a wife after trying to make it farming in this day and age.

4)Don't give up on the farm. Just don't try to make your living from it.

Anyway-- Its Good Friday and I am at work-- getting paid double time. I should not bother contributing to these threads unless I have the time to do it right. I wonder about some of the regular contributors to Agriville and how they have the time to make all of the comments that they do on this website. I suspect they do not have anything very useful to do or they would be doing it.

CHEERS AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.

Comment

kpb, How can you sell off the cows and "sit out" part of the cattle cycle - what will you do for income? I don't understand this concept. Unless you sell some of your overpriced land or sell machinery a lot of your fixed costs will remain the same but you will have lower or zero income.

A few things to throw into the mix - despite the gloom just now figures being quoted are way healthier than they were during the drought years - all the guys saying it was costing $700 to feed a cow over winter etc. Government support is also conveniently overlooked - they paid out through drought and BSE so why wouldn't they with 80 cent calves and ranchers threatening to go bankrupt? It's part and parcel of the system they bought into when they sold our agricultural industry out to transnational corporate piracy. This is the same system operating in most developed countries ie "subsidised agriculture"

Personally I think people should be building a system by selling high priced land until they have no debt or move to a cheaper area to do this. I think bank borrowing to buy land will be the fatal millstone around the neck of beef production in the future given it is such a low output activity. Land prices relative to agricultural production value are out of tune the world over - it's what happens when there are very few of "us" and millions of "them" wanting to live in the countryside. If the land is paid for the appreciation in land value may be enough return for the capital invested in land for some producers especially if they plan to run multi-generational farms. If we minimise the inputs bought and brought onto the farm we can reduce the breakeven price substantially. This takes us back to the very basics of agriculture - managing our land resource by converting sunlight, heat, water into saleable biomass using photosynthesis. The important thing to realise is these are free inputs. The more layers of difficulty and expense (machinery, fuel, fertiliser, buildings, feedlots, cropping etc) we build into this simple process the less money we make.
      As you say the low margins in cattle even at reasonable sale prices add up to a low income per farm. Huge numbers don't work either if they are based on an expanded landbase built on borrowed money. What we need are higher margin cattle - hence my interest in value added beef sales. This coupled with more intensive land use (through management of the free inputs mentioned above not mechanisation or cultivation) is the light at the end of the tunnel that I see.

Comment

grassfarmer, I went outside to finish feeding after I wrote the post and thought about just what low prices would mean this time around. Last time, when calf prices tanked, I got by with just a very few cows (personal friends) and made enough by backgrounding and grassing bought-in calves.

But this time I don't think I'll make enough that way to get by (my family is larger with bigger expenses). I sold a quarter earlier this spring and will likely sell another. That, combined with the backgrounding, grassing and dollars from the cows, should get me by until I can create my breeding herd again in a few years.

But your point about expensive farmland is critical, I think. You are completely correct, what should happen is what has always happened to ranchers--as people move into the area and land prices rise, the ranchers should sell-out and move to more remote areas. I know just where I'd go too--to our northern ranch near Lac La Biche where the grass is long and there aren't many people. But my wife isn't keen on the idea of moving to a remote location so here I sit, an hour outside Calgary. I'm not sure the ranchers of 100 years ago had that problem, lol.

crossfield beef, I agree with your sentiments, obviously, about full-time farm income. But I must say, as a regular contributor, that I don't think posting is a waste of time--I've learned a lot from the other people on this board and posting has also made me think about my own operation.

kpb

Comment

The bottom line is cost of production, be it cattle or grain. Another angle to look at this is profit margin, If your profit margin on one cow or one acre is poor getting bigger doesn't do anything for you. Lots of bigger farmers are quitting these days at least around here.
          I really wonder how much good it does for Stephen Harper to help out us farmers. Why throw good money after bad? Gov't money just prolongs the agony. Farms can't loose money, ya perhaps they don't make money but if your loosing in my opinion you have to stop. Don't work for nothing & don't be afraid to make changes. The change for me was the mindset that the farm is a business and you have to spend money to make money. Well after now ten years of pushing the farm the farm is going to have to roll on its own. I've paid off allot of bills paid off some equipment and don't have allot of land debt so if my hobby makes money great if not atleast I'am not paying interest on it.

Around here last winter the log truck drivers made $37/hr $400/day & oilfield is similar to less from what I know.

I could be wrong but in my opinion all farms are getting to be hobby operations, no one can make a good living farming, every farm is supported by off farm income.

Comment

This is a very interesting subject and it is also interesting to see how different people view it?
            For the older farmer with no, or little, debt and no young family raising cows can provide a decent living and lifestyle? Because in addition to the income the cow generates you are also getting a good portion of the feed bill! Sure there are some costs involved but in reality the majority of that $383 feed cost is going right into your pocket? I don't believe that is the proper way to look at it but it is reality?
            In todays world it is extremely expensive to raise a family...whether you live on a farm or in town! And quite frankly most women do not want to live out in the sticks! And personally I believe it is our duty to give these little souls we bring into this world every opportunity we possibly can. Just my opinion.

Comment

Kpb: I would point out that I agree with you that prices are likely to decline. You may want to consider that today the cattle industry in this country is very different than it was prior to 1960 and what worked then may not work in today’s global trading environment. I better understand where you are coming from however. You raise a good point about every cow not raising a calf and my numbers in another thread should have taken that into account, although they were rough numbers.

It is my opinion that if you pay above average prices for a cow then you should expect to earn below average returns, quality of the animal considered. I have seen prices rise and fall and it stands to reason the person who expanded their herd by purchasing cows at below average prices should have an advantage over the person who purchases cows at record high prices. However as with just about everything in the cattle business, income tax is a factor and those high price cows may be a tax strategy for money made somewhere else.

Grassfarmer raises a very important point about reductions in herd size due to the “cow cycle” and a reduced herd size not being able to cover fixed costs. Regarding debt…I would say that, believe it or not, a manageable level of debt can help increase Return on Equity. The key word though is manageable and I think I see quite a few operations that are playing loose and fast with debt. Debt repayment capacity is the most important number on our farm and I really focus on anything that changes my ability to repay my debt. Grassfarmer is correct when he says that, especially as prices decline, more intensive management and avoidance of cash inputs may be the secret to survival.

I think the purpose of an off farm job is to build equity so that at some point in the future your cow operation may provide you a living as your operation starts to enjoy some economy of scale and relief from debt repayment requirements.

Comment

Cowman are you implying that by raising a family on the farm we are short changing them on life's opportunities-I suppose having a rigpig Daddy they see for a couple days on shift change is better. My four little souls seem to think life is pretty good for some reason-maybe because there Dad isn't spending 24/7 pissing and moaning about how life isn't fair and that there's no future for them.We've lived through 80 cent calves before I imagine we'd struggle through them again.

Comment

WE had an interesting cow/calf seminar up here on cost of production-the speaker was a good guy but you could tell he'd told his story a few to many times. He was droning on when I asked him if cost of production didn't always rise when prices were highest. Well he just about fell over-he said they didn't but when he checked his figures from 100's of producers they almost always did-especially the fixed cost side of things. It's an easy trap to fall into after a tough stretch to 'reward' yourself with a new tractor-a quad or whatever when prices get better. I'd bet that there are guys who have a COP more than double others in my area-there's more than one way to skin a cat or make money with a cow. If calves get to 80 cents-there will be lots of grass to rent up here because the Albertans will be scurrying back to there oil hole-we'll just run a bunch of yearlings along with our cows.

Comment

I absolutely do not accept that there is no way to make a living from agriculture in Canada. If you think that try visiting or learning about New Zealand. They are a country with a "can do" mentality, agriculture is their production backbone and farmland their primary asset. All their exports are by necessity offshore. The people tell you they are happy living in their garden of Eden and they certainly don't have oil patch envy.

Comment

Well some people on here have to figure out whining never grew any grass-be interesting if our Alberta buddies took the oil field revenue and inflated land values out of their net worth statements-instant transformation for what it's like to ranch one province east-ohh and the extra BSE collection money-prosperity bonuses etc. I'm betting alot even if they sold out and moved to cheaper land would still have trouble making money-there's lots of expatriot Albertans moving back after trying to ranch here.

Comment

cswilson, it seems that your posts of late are intent on aiming volleys at the Alberta cattle producer, Alberta
                        oil, jobs in the oilpatch etc.

I don't want to start a border war on this site but I can guarantee you there would be a lot of hungry people across this country if it weren't for the activity in the Alberta oil patch right now. The opportunities for people from other provinces to become 'rig pigs' as you called them and in doing so help to keep the banker from forclosing on their farm in Sask., and in many cases putting food on the table for their families in the maritimes.

I know of many Sask. farm boys that work on rigs in AB., during the off season on the farm and are damn glad to have the opportunity to make a good dollar.Others work on Seismic crews all winter in AB, then head back to put the crop in come spring. Maybe you could ask them what they think of Alberta's oil patch !!!

If people in the cattle industry can't get along, then how in hell will we be a united group and get the message across to governments that the entire agricultural industry is in crisis.

Comment

I just sick of the Alberta crybaby's sitting on their high priced land-with a high paying job-posting away with all their doom and gloom about thre ranching business when they don't even make a living off it.Cowman would bitch if they hung him with a new rope for crying out loud.There's guys like that up in this country sit on their butt and cry the blues.You can take a calculator and make ranching as good or bad as you want to make it-trust me I get enough guff from the Alberta boys when I go west I don't mind handing some back out. If your in the best place in the world to ranch and you can't make a living-maybe your in the wrong business.

Comment

cswilson maybe you hang around with the wrong Alberta boys !!!! I don't know too many ranchers that work in the oil patch that have any spare time to sit on their butt and whine !!!

Comment

I can see more and more friction these days between Alberta cattlemen and producers in the rest of the country. I guess anytime the money gets concentrated in one part of the country like it is now there is bound to be hard feelings. Now I personnally wouldn't trade all the oil money in Alberta for the relatively laid back life we live in the eastern prairies. Most of my neighbors can still get by raising cattle with little or no help from the government and few have off farm jobs. It is however getting tougher when the hired man wants twenty five bucks an hour or else he will head to the oil patch. I guess what I'm trying to say is I can see where cswilson's attitudes are coming from because there are many in these parts with the same feelings.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...