• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were heifers money makers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were heifers money makers?

The local vet told me heifers crossing the line have about an extra $10 on them for the preg test and mouthing them? Last fall the cattle buyers were really tough on heifers, much worse than normal, due to problems with export?
    It would seem that now it isn't the ordeal it was previously?
    So the question? Were heifers money makers last winter?
    This vet also told me he could easily make $1,000/day working in feedlot alley preg checking and mouthing heifers for export!

... i am surprised that is all it cost... thought i read where canfax said it was costing an extra 3 dollars/ cwt to ship heifers... for the vet that almost sounds like oil patch wages...lol...

Comment

I think 10 dollars a heifer is pretty accurate, according to what our vet (my boss) charges. It's an hourly charge plus mileage, so steers come in a bit cheaper yet, since only one end needs to be checked. LOL

Ten dollars would cover the inspection and the CFIA charge on the endorsment of the papers. Whatever charges come from brokers and such, I'm not sure of.

I think part of the discount built into heifers is to cover the chance of a reduced price on one that's bred and can't cross the border. We looked at some heifers this winter who had been bought from one owner, who assured the buyer that they had never seen a bull, and where 80% of them turned out to be bred. The buyer took a bath on those, and don't worry, he'll make sure he has a cushion built in the next time. Things like that make the steers even more attractive.

Comment

Well some guys sell their handshake-it usually only works once.

Comment

This guy has sold his. I doubt he'll get as good a deal on his next calf crop.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...