• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highland cattle

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highland cattle

In the last edition of Beef Illustrated they had a pretty good article on Highland cattle? It was very interesting.
    The article stressed the hardiness etc. and the lean meat that Highlands produce.
    I found it very interesting that these cattle come in every color under the sun and quite a range of sizes? You would think an old purebred breed would be fairly uniform?
    They also mentioned the Luing breed which is 5/8 shorthorn and 3/8 Highland? Now I wonder, grassfarmer, if Luings are uniform in color and size? Not trying to be contrary here or anything, just interested?

Why would an old purebred breed be uniform in size Cowman? It depends on the environment, selection and management the owner has. As an example you can currently get Angus cows anywhere from 1000-2000lbs in Canada.
    As for colour, the article said the Highlands are predominately red and some lighter shades(brown, tan) some blacks and occasional brindles.

Luings were never selected for colour initially as that was considered a fad not an important economic trait. As the old saying goes "a guid beast is never the wrong colour"
    Over the years however the Luing breed has become more uniform in colour with the predominant colour being dark red followed by tan,roan, a few with red and white shorthorn markings and the very occasional white animal. Whether that colour change in the breed was achieved because people prefer solid dark reds either in their herds or to sell or whether the solid red cattle have proven the best bloodlines is hard to say.

I liked the story that the Highland was taken to mainland Europe and used in other breeds - it mentioned the Saler. Is that what a Saler really is -a Highland x Limo way back? that would account for the hair, milk production, temperment and speed!

Comment

Better be careful there grassfarmer, emerald is going to come out smoking!
      Despite the Salers "high spirited" temperment they did have a lot of good things going for them? We AI'd heifers Salers for a few years and actually still have one old(15 yrs) half blood around! I even have one old registered hereford who is 17!

Comment

I doubt it grassfarmer. Limousin as you likely are aware came from the Limoge Valley in France. The cattle are known for longevity and excellent carcas quality etc.

As far as speed goes, after just coming in from a rodeo with three calves that got into the wrong pasture I tend to agree with you. Faster than a speeding bullet, but I got them back with their mama's without incident, except for being mad !!!

Comment

But it's not that far in miles from the Limoge valley to the Massif Central where the salers come from. Couple of days run for either breed. A Saler bull escaped in Scotland once and was found in a field of heifers 16 miles away the next day!

Comment

doesn't surprise me grassfarmer. I was at numerous 4-H weigh ins and if any of the @@##$$ Saler steers or heifers would have escaped they would likely have been 16 miles away too.

I don't intend on getting involved in a debate over cattle breeds, vehicle brands or religion, too non productive !! There are good in each breed and as I have said many times before, whichever breed is making money for a producer is the one they should stick with.

The Limo cattle have been good to this operation, and my calves have topped sales many times, however that does not mean they are any better than anyone elses.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...