• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbed Wire

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbed Wire

Anybody buy any wire yet? Tree Island stuff on the wooden spools is advertised as high as $57/roll in some places. Bloody ridiculous. A buddy of mine says he can get some that's just as good for $45/roll, so we'll see.

A-1 Supply in Camrose has had some good deals in past years. I'll probably try them again. We bought some bundles of posts and a full pallet of wire two years ago from UFA just before the prices went nuts. I think that wire worked out to $44/roll. Doubt we'll see that again anytime soon.

I ordered a pallet (27 rolls) a couple weeks back. Keddies in Grande Prairie $47.50 on wooden roll $45.50 on wire roll 1-800-390-6924 I plan to perimeter fence 4 wire barb & Rotate the cattle around with electric. UFA in Westlock has 4/5 6' posts bundle lots for $3.37/ea

Comment

Allfarmer: Those darned posts sure are getting pricey! I think we paid about $3 for those kind of posts last fall and I was outraged then!
      A few years ago there used to be this guy who stopped in with a liner load of posts from Prince Albert. He used them for a back haul when hauling equipment up to PA. He stopped at least once a year, usually quite late at night.
      Anyway he was always looking for a fast sale and he knew I was a willing buyer. Usually 1700 posts and he was always in that $2.10 to $2.25 range. I'd buy the whole bunch and peddle them around to the neighbors. Those were stout posts, let me tell you.
      Anyway he doesn't come anymore, don't know why.

Comment

...well cowman i remember my father buying a whole pile of post from a guy from PA in the early eighties ...well after about three years they started to break off at ground level... i kind of remember my dad saying if he ever saw that guy from ...he would... lol...

Comment

wonder if its the same guy from PA that comes through this area once a year with a truck load of posts and goes farm to farm selling them ?

Comment

Well blackjack these posts seem to be holding up and they definitely are stout? My old uncle said they are no good unless they are green and wouldn't buy them, but then he is an ornery old opinionated bugger! I hope I don't get like that? LOL

Comment

Years ago we bought a bundle of posts from the PA fellow. I think the fellows that came here were from a Metis nation up there .

Anyhow, I hope my neighbour buys some posts and doesn't let the price of barbed wire scare him because I hate the thoughts of another pasture season with his bulls meandering around my yard and his calves doing the same thing !!!

Comment

We buy fire-killed rails from a guy at PA. Name's Richard Balon, little frenchman, kinda funny duck. He sells posts too that are treated with creosote - I think - and they're real cheap, but real solid. The rails cost $4.20/pc delivered to my yard, which is half of what good heavy, rough 2X6 planks are. When I rebuilt my corrals in the spring of '05, I did it all with those rails, and we haven't had any trouble. And did it for half the cost!

Comment

I'll stick with tubing for my corrals. The donkeys can't chew it into kindling and the bulls sure respect it.

Have about 50' of old planks to replace this year and then the entire corral system is tubing and some tubing and cable.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...