• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Loonie, the loonie...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Loonie, the loonie...

From the Globe and Mail

Dollar streaks higher
    TAVIA GRANT

Globe and Mail Update

The Canadian dollar extended this week's gains, marking a new 14-year high Thursday, after a spate of positive economic reports and as investor sentiment soured against the U.S. currency.

The dollar rose to 88.49 cents (U.S.), its highest level since November, 1991. It closed 0.32 of a cent higher at 88.39 cents. Among the 62 global currencies tracked by Bloomberg News, the loonie is the world's third-best performing currency this week against the U.S. dollar, with a 1.9-per-cent gain.

The move comes after reports this week showed Canada's gross domestic product rose more than expected in December, while the current account surplus widened to a record in the fourth quarter.

The U.S. dollar, meantime, buckled after weaker-than-expected reports this week on housing, consumer confidence, manufacturing and construction.

“The Canadian dollar has benefited from the overall weakness in the U.S. dollar,” said Paresh Upadhyaya, portfolio manager at Putnam Investments in Boston. “The fundamentals in Canada still look solid, so expectations are the Bank of Canada will continue to tighten interest rates.”

He thinks the loonie will go higher in the months to come.

The central bank is widely expected to raise its benchmark rate on Tuesday to 3.75 per cent from 3.5 per cent.

Unlike in recent months, when rising commodity prices prompted some to dub the currency a “petro-dollar,” this week's move came despite natural gas prices that are 50 per cent lower than their record in December.

“This suggests that recent currency appreciation may be increasingly driven by speculative flows,” said Stéfane Marion, an economist at National Bank Financial, in a research note. “In light of the very tame inflation backdrop, we believe that the BoC has the luxury to move to the sidelines (at least temporarily) after its next meeting in reaction to the Canadian dollar's appreciation.”

In a speech last February, Bank of Canada Governor David Dodge outlined two reasons for exchange-rate movements. Type One arises when demand for Canadian goods and services increases. Type Two stems from the rebalancing of portfolios in financial markets.

If movement in the loonie is being caused a Type Two scenario, and not by a fundamental increase in demand for Canadian goods, pressure on inflation would be downward and monetary policy would be “more stimulative [or have lower rates] than it otherwise would have been,” Mr. Dodge said at the time.

The strong dollar continues to take a toll on Canadian exporters. This week, General Motors of Canada Ltd. president Michael Grimaldi said Canada's cost advantage over the United States in automobile assembly has been almost entirely eroded, partly because of the soaring dollar.

“We've talked a lot about the strengthening of the Canadian dollar, which in some cases is positive for the country of Canada, [but] in other cases for certain industries and companies where you have to export, the stronger dollar raises the effective price of your product,” he said.

The loonie closed Wednesday at 88.07 cents. It's risen about 31 per cent over the past three years against the U.S. dollar.

With files from reporter Greg Keenan.

I personally don't understand this whole dollar thing. It baffles me!
    I don't think it should be as high as it is, but then what do I know?
    Obviously it is good for some exports...like gas and oil, but not so good for other things?
    I guess in reality if we consider the American dollar as "real money" we are getting more but the problem is we should be buying everything for less, and I don't really see that happening?
    For example: The Canadian dollar has risen 31% in the last couple of years. That means a truck built in the US should sell for less...a lot less...like about 40%? So the $35,000 truck should now be $21,000! But that has not happened! So where has my more valuable dollar gone?

Comment

Can someone explain to me in Layman's terms why the Bank of Canada used the reasoning of a low Canadian dollar to raise interest rates in the past and now with a high dollar also feels justified to increase them?

Comment

I've often wondered about that sort of thing too Bruce? It's almost like David Dodge sits down and says well how can I screw you today?
        Same sort of deal when something like oil and gasoline go up, for some goofy reason? They figure "well because we had a ten cent jump in the price of gas, inflation is up, so we'll really screw you by raising interest rates, too!" Somehow that seems sort of wrong thinking to me?

Comment

cowman in my side line business I buy alot...all... my parts from the U.S. and they have been costing me alot less.

Perhaps if the green back continues to fall some Canadian invester will buy out the American owned packing plants!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...