• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cwilson, are you keeping your kids away from irish and scotch or just from SCOTCH ????
    I can assure you I don't get drunk on St. Patrick's Day because I am usually far too busy calving cows, and with limo's you need to be sober !!! LOL !!!

Comment

Hard to keep them away from the Scotch as that's our ancestory-Cowman I bet I know who your acquantance at Meadow Lake is lol.

Comment

Baileys is my poison when I indulge !!
        I do keep some good single malt scotch around just in case someone that likes the stuff drops by...

Comment

cswilson: Joe Gooder. He'd be around 60 now.

Comment

cswilson: Joe Gooder. He'd be around 60 now.

Comment

Are you sure his name is goooder and not gladue-I'm sure therte's never been a native named gooder farming around Meadow Lake.

Comment

Roly; This is a cute trend however as you can see where it is going it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

If you are coming from the UK there are many more issues you should be looking into also, as I'm sure you are. The adverse wheather conditions, the price of fuel, chemicals and fertilizer. The distance to your markets for transportation costs. The price we get for the value of our product.

The govn't interventions in our indusry,land taxes,GST,PST. then there is wild life deer, elk, moose all that we farmers feed for free for others to use and are expected to accomadate for sport. These are all way bigger issues than who my neighbor is.

All in all this is a good life but this rose garden has thorns and some times they are very big.

Comment

cswilson: Well it sounded like Gooder but don't know the correct spelling? The last time I saw him was when I was just a small kid. He had rode a pony two miles to borrow some coal oil on a really brutal winter day. All he had on was a jean jacket and rubber boots with no socks. I remember my mother bundled him up in a big quilt and put him in front of the open stove and he just sat there and shivered like he was going to come apart. After feeding him she bundled him up before he rode home. The whole outfit pulled out the next year and we never heard anything about them for quite awhile. A few years later when he was a young man my Dad found him in some gutter outside a bar looking pretty rough. He got him a meal and gave him $20...as well as a lecture on the evils of booze and getting his act together!
                  Years later he stopped in with his wife(a white girl) and said he had a cow ranch at Meadow Lake. He thanked my Dad for straightening him out. My Dad said he grew up to be a pretty stout man.

Comment

Just goes to prove that an act of kindness and taking a chance on another human being can sometimes make all the difference.

Comment

That's Joker Gladue I'm betting-he's a good guy-lots of fun and runs a bunch of black cows on the reserve up here-he did grow up to be a pretty stout fella. Next time you see him ask about the time he drove his truck on top of the manure pile lol.

Comment

Hello Agra-friends, The farm is in between Yorkton & Saskatoon and I am moving there at the end of May, if the sale is straight forward. I will probably be too late for spring seeding this year, but I can't get there any earlier as I have commitments to finish in the UK. I've got to work out whats the best thing to do about a house. I may just bite the bullitt and borrow a little bit and put a ready to move house on. I think the farm should be able to sustain a small mortgage. I would appreciate your comments, my situation will be 1000 acre farm, half bush/pasture, half cultivated. 100 cows, 50 ewes, second hand machinery (enough to run the farm) without any borrowing. I would have thought a small mortgage for a house - the farm should be able to handle this. I really appreciate the help that the people on Agri-Ville have given me, and I hope I can carry on asking for your help.

Thank you,

Roland.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...