• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian

Hello

Do any of you out there have experience of living next to a Indian Res-

No I'm all of five miles away-what's your point lol.

Comment

none near here roly

Comment

i bought a farm or at lest i put a deposit down

The farm hasn't got a very good house on so that will be another job, we'll have to try and find a second-hand house somewhere to move on.

Can I ask you,all the farm is one mile from a Indian Reservation, do you think I will get any problems, I think there is good and bad in all races, and I take everybody as I find them, but I have heard people complain about the Indians.with me coming from the UK i dont know

Comment

Yes! Any specific questions?

Comment

A lot of land around IR (they wanted to be called 1st Nations peoples) can be grossly over valued because of Treaty Land Entitlements. Depending on the IR, you many or may not have any more problems than some small towns, when it comes to trying to establish new farm ventures. Why not check with your new neighbours.

Comment

I'm sticking my neck out here, but one of the problems that we have heard about is the problem with feral dogs. Anyone with sheep or cattle might have problems with packs of dogs. Roly...... if you haven't guessed it, most of us over here are little apprehensive about talk on this subject. We ALL know about some problems, but thats might be more of an opinion, rather than maybe personal experiences.

And they aren't all Urban Myths either.

Comment

roly, perhaps a place to start would be to have a discussion with the detachment commander of the local RCMP, and also with the CEO of your municipality.

Comment

Roly, If I may ask, what province have you decided to move to.....?

Comment

You may get more response with a hotmail address posted. (Although we will all read any responses with great interest)

Comment

Good Luck !!!!!

Comment

Your neighbors are usually as good to you as you are to them-white,brown,green or purple. Our community is probably over half native and they certainly don't have a monopoly on trouble makers.

Comment

Good advice cwilson. There are no natives in my community and no reserves within a two hour drive but we sure aren't without our fair share of problem makers.
                          Roly, you will likely find that in rural Canada most folks are friendly, willing to lend a hand and that includes natives. If there is a community group where you are moving, I would suggest that you get involved and get to know your neighbours, and you will soon feel a part of your community.

Comment

the farm is one mile from the Indian Reservation,in central Sask- do you think I will get any problems, I think there is good and bad in all races, and I take every body as I find them, but I have heard people complain about the Indians.

Comment

Living in a rural area isn't going to be problem free but I would suggest that you do the following:

Install good locks on your buildings, fuel tanks and house.
                              Never leave keys in vehicles, this is not to suggest that anyone will steal them but it is not a good practice although many farmers still do it.
                              Get a good dog that barks when anyone drives or walks in the yard.
                              Get to know your neighbours right away and find out if they have any problems with native or other people.
                              Once you know your neighbours I am sure that at least one or more of them will ' take you under their wing' and mentor you in the ways of farming in your area, plus keep a look out on your property when you are away.

In my area of Alberta several neighbours watch out for each others homes when any of us are away. Its always good to have tracks in and out of your yard in the winter and have someone driving through in other times of the year.

Don't worry about the natives and lose sight of the real reason you are moving to Canada which I assume is to farm.

Enjoy your new home roly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...