• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

understanding democracy?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

understanding democracy?

In my local county,during the last election, there was a plebicite on whether we wanted to elect a Reeve or leave the system as it was. The vote was like 2300 for and 1800 against.
    The council hired a consultant to hold meetings etc. and come up with a plan for how this could be done? The consultant laid out about six options?
    Now we have one councillor coming out boldly in the paper saying(once again) that the plebicite is wrong and there should not be an elected reeve or a redrawn divisional map!
    Now I would wonder....what part of democracy does this guy not understand? Does he believe the people are always right or does he believe he has some divine right to govern!
    Linda: You might be a little concerned here, as this is your councillor? If he views a clear voice of the people as so much drivel...then is he going to listen to anthing the people in your area tell him to do? Clearly a lot of the people in your area are not all that keen about developing Glennifer Lake? Is this the guy who is going to be championing your cause? well maybe if he agrees with it...otherwise I wouldn't count on it! It seems like he is a self appointed dictator or something!

Sorry this should have been over in Rural Issues! Nothing to do with beef other than you can find BS in all kinds of thngs!

Comment

cowman, no elected offical should be speaking publically on their own. The county should have an official spokesperson and that individual should put forward the position of council as a whole. Sounds like this councillor isn't getting his way and wants to beak off in the media. My bet would be that he will be on the short end of the stick on a lot of decisions because of it. Obviously not a team player .

Comment

Emerald is that like our county that spends 75% of thier meetings in camera so they all get thier storys straight before answering any questions.
        Some democracy we have just banana repoblic wanabes.

Comment

horse, there are reasons municipal councils are required under the Municipal Government Act to discuss some issues In CAMERA or IN PRIVATE.
          Anything inolving legal issues, staff discipline issues, union contracts or other issues that may put the municipality in a precarious monetary position must be discussed in private.
          Any motions resulting from such discussions must be made in public.
          I will give you a 'for instance': What if your council had invited applications for public members for your local Agricultural Service Board and one of the applicants was a cattle rustler. If one member of council was aware of this matter and had conclusive evidence to back it up, would you want them to spout off in public or go in private and advise fellow councilors so they didn't embarass themselves and the community by appointing a cattle rustler to the ASB ?
          This is hypothetical and not based on anything that has actually happened to my knowledge but is one of the reasons council members go in private.
          I will suggest that you walk a mile in your councillors shoes before you are so quick to judge.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...