• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCOOL?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cowman- Most of this labeling law will not go into effect until Oct. 1, 2006- Not sure if their are too many beef plants left that can qualify under the Made in Montana- the plant in Malta would have when it was operating... Also some talk of hog plants hooking up with the hutterite production and opening- producing made in Montana pork....

As far as grains, there are quite a few taking advantage of locally produced products already- this just gives them an added boost..

This is a link to local neighbors that are expanding now nationwide...
    http://www.grainsofmontana.com/

Comment

So I wonder if all other beef would have to be labelled? Like "Product of Alberta" or "product of Nebraska"?
      And I also wonder how much of the product coming out of the Cargill plant at High River and the Tyson plant at Brooks finds its way into the meat shelf at a Montana grocery store? And for that matter fat live cattle coming from Alberta to the plants in Washington?
      We do know that practically all the beef coming out of western feedlots(High River) goes to a chain of steakhouses in California. And we do know before BSE the Alberta cattle slaughtered at Pasqual, Washington got stamped USDA and shipped immediately to Japan? So I wonder was there ever any Alberta beef in the Montana supermarkets, anyway? And isn't that the only area where MCOOL applies?

Comment

cowman- prior to May 2003- actually a great deal of the beef coming into Montana stores was from Canada...Most of Montana gets its beef from a warehouse in Idaho- which had been getting it from Canada, because it was cheaper...They then took it to the retailer who removed the CFIA markings and put on the USDA inspected stamp and passed it off at the grocery counter as US beef....Most consumers had no knowledge of this until the BSE case was found in Canada and they began asking questions...Then they were more than a little peeved to find they had been deceived..That is one reason the Montana M-COOL law passed the Legislature with so much support of both parties..

Comment

Quote willowcreek
          "the retailer who removed the CFIA markings and put on the USDA inspected stamp and passed it off at the grocery counter as US beef..."

Question. By retailers I assume you mean the local grocery stores and meat shops? Are there USDA employees/inspectors in these places or do they have an "inspected stamp" in the cupboard?

Comment

willowcreek the only thing I want to know is if you have statistics on how many people in Montana have dropped dead from eating Alberta beef ????

Comment

Maybe Willowcreek can soon realize that the reason the beef coming from Canada and being relabeled is doing so because it is far better quality than beef raised in the US. Is it nice we can ship to the Japan market and they can not. Maybe now they can get rid of their protectionist rules and join the rest of this world. The US product isn't any better than other products it's just their fear mongering that lets them think they are better than any body else.It is to bad that Rcalf veiws have caused so much hardship both in Canada and the US.

Comment

InaHurry- Actually its kind of like the grocer does have a USDA stamp in his drawer...

After he removes the beef from a box labeled "Product of Canada" and/or cuts the CFIA inked stamp off the beef- he repackages in a package with a USDA inspected sticker on it...Then he pass's it off to unknowing consumers as US beef and a US product...

In any other business- with any other product- this would be FRAUD...Thankfully Montana will end it...

Comment

I have tried those Montana grass fed steaks a restaurant in Billings. I think shoe leather tastes better. I hope you label your meat product of USA so when I am down there again I can look for a quality Canadain Steak. Much as I know you bragg about using Canadian Bacon.

Comment

One time I bought some really good looking steaks at a grocery store in Washington labelled "Corn fed USA beef". Other than the yellowish tint to the fat this baby looked good...cut real thick, marbled etc.? We barbequed them back at the motorhome...and it was not what I would call "a good eating experience"! They were tender but very bland...not very flavorful at all!
                    Now that doesn't mean I haven't had some very good steaks in the USA...and even during the BSE border closure days...so some of these were definitely American beef(no switching here). There is a little bar/grill in Great Falls that has some of the best steaks I've ever had...and they advertize it as USA beef!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...