• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be our next fed. ag minister?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who will be our next fed. ag minister?

My bet is it will Diane Finley. What does everyone else think?

I am thinking it might be the fellow from North Battleford. The last two Ministers have been from Ontario, so it is time to have a western one, and Harper is going to have to have key ministers from Ont. and Quebec, but I guess we'll find out in due course.

Comment

Without a doubt it should be Finley? She was the critic, she was a giant killer, she is a woman, and last but not least she is from rural Ontario...and Harper needs to reward Ontario farmers for being bold and taking a chance on a new deal!
      What I would find more interesting is who will be the minister of the CWB?

Comment

I guess we were all wrong. Its Chuck Strahl. Hes from BC so I hope he remembers the western farmers and ranchers.

Comment

Background in road construction and logging! What's wrong with picking someone with an agriculture background?

Comment

Geez, if you pick someone with a agriculture background, than you realize ag would actually have a voice? Harper has to play into the hands of the cities this time around, if he hopes of getting a majority next time.

Comment

yes the man often asked to lead the singing of O CANADA is Chuck Strahl
              Agriculture. if he can sing that song
              so well !! he be able to sing the song of the farmer. "government please help
              our farmers !!!!
              we have a nice young HARPER,s first
              cabinet

Comment

Does Strahl know which end of the cow to feed?

Comment

Excerpt from CBBC Herb McLane
                  Chuck Strahl (Chilliwack-Fraser Canyon) has been named Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada and Minister responsible for the Canadian Wheat Board. David Emerson (Vancouver-Kingsway) has been appointed Minister for International Trade.

Strahl was Deputy House Speaker during the past term of the Government of Canada. His campaign web site does not highlight any agriculture, seafood or agri-food experience. His business experience, before being elected for the first time in 1997, was as “a partner in a successful road construction and logging contracting firm, and held the responsibility of managing several operations throughout the Fraser Valley”.

Strahl’s riding, however is very agri-food sector dependent. According to the 2001 census, 46% of his constituency’s goods producing labour force was comprised of men and women either working on a farm or in a food processing plant. That labour force was directly responsible for GDP of $175,000,000.

An adjacent riding (Abbotsford) is even more food sector dependent: 60% of goods producing labour force generating directly $337,000,000 GDP. That riding is represented by another Conservative, Edward Fast “a lawyer who focuses on corporate, commercial and real estate development law.”

Comment

From ABP
                    Chuck Strahl - Minister of Agriculture

Chilliwack-Fraser Canyon, B.C.

Previously the deputy Speaker, Strahl is well-known for his efforts to oust Canadian Alliance Leader Stockwell Day in 2001. He and several Alliance colleagues left the party to sit as the Democratic Representative Caucus. Day was eventually forced out. Strahl has also been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. An MP since 1993, he was most recently the critic for Democratic Reform and Northern Economic Development and acted as the Deputy House Leader of the Official Opposition. Strahl is also the former deputy caucus co-ordinator, chief whip and former critic for Public Service, Natural Resources, Heritage (Culture/Economics) and Industry. He is a former member of numerous committees including: Procedure and House Affairs, Fisheries and Oceans, Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Natural Resources, Canadian Heritage, Aboriginal Affairs, Natural Resources, and Industry, Science and Technology. He was also the vice-chair of Procedure and House Affairs committee.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just
                      an interim position to bring an old Reform crony (Chuck) into the cabinet and balance out BC.

Someone like Diane Ablonczy might fit the bill ok. Can't bring too many Calgarians in at once, but for later on, Diane has Ag knowledge and has seniority and experience in many areas.

Any comments on this as a possibility?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...