• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preventing Scours & Coccidiosis in Calves with Diatomaceous Earth

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing Scours & Coccidiosis in Calves with Diatomaceous Earth

Hi, I am researching and compiling information on the use of food-grade, freshwater diatomaceous earth in the cow/calf operation. It has to be the pure product, not the blends. If anyone has used this in their cow/calf operation as a prevention or treatment for scours or coccidiosis, I ask that you please take the time to share your information with me. On the advice of a vet in Sask. we have been using Star Lake Beef Diatomaceous Earth since 1992 in our cow/calf operation. We offer it free choice to our baby calves and they prefer to eat it instead of the dirt and old manure. As a result, we have honestly had no troubles with scours/coccidiosis since 1992 and have stayed away from costly antibiotics. (Knock on Wood) Other producers I have spoke to have the same claims, while others use it to treat scours effectively. Some share negative results, but I later find that they have used blends of diatomaceous earth, which ofcourse is not pure and white. This information has stirred up quite a bit of interest among Canadian producers, so I have decided to research the use of it and later provide this valuable information to feed companies and producers. If you have used diatomaceous earth, please e-mail me with your results. Please remember to include the type, brand of product and how you used it. If you would like a copy of the results when they are complete or want to know more about how we use it on our farm, please e-mail me. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail to scoursolutions@mts.net. Thanks in advance for your help!

I did a brief review and found no scientific paper relating to diatomeceous earth, let alone its potential effect of reducing scours. A little background.

Diatomeceous earth (D.E.) is found in natural deposits throughout the world and is composed of microscopic diatoms. D.E. is an abrasive product that operates by penetrating the cuticle of the insect and allowing dehydration. There appears to be significant variability in effectiveness of this product as well as in claims as to what the product will or will not do. Research over the past three decades indicates that D.E. is effective against most stored-grain insect pests if well distributed throughout the grain (White et al. 1975). However, several references indicate marginal or poor performance of this product (LaHue 1967). (source Gerrit Cuperus, Oklahoma State University retreived from http://www.okstate.edu/OSU_Ag/agedcm4h/pearl/e912/ch18/)

There is mention that this product is considered an antibiotic by the USDA and the American Environmental Protection Agency. Their paper also lists several research papers dealing with the use of Diatomeceous earth as an insecticide.

DE is actually the silica type particles, much like glass or sand. The story goes that the agent causing the scours eats the silica, and as such has its
    insides cut and ruptures from the inside.

Scours comes in many forms, viral, nutritional, and bacteria. It is actually a symptom of a diseased intestine and stomach. Any thing that irritates the stomach and intestine could cause scours(dehydration). Relying on D.E. to prevent/cure scours is not a sound practice. I talked with two vets here in Olds neither will recommend DE but do recognize that producers have anecdotal stories that as soon as they added it the scours were gone (very likely having the fire truck show up after the house is burnt to the ground).

This is a section lifted from our beef herd disease Calendar on Ropin the WEB at this location http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/agdex/400/20066201.html
    Calf Scours or diarrhea in young calves is a result of bacteria, viruses or protozoa in combination with other factors such as nutritional deficiencies or environmental stresses. Environmental stresses include inclement weather or wet and dirty maternity or calf areas. Most calves are affected in the first two weeks of life and a heifer's calf is more susceptible than a cow's calf.

Because of the diarrhea, the calf becomes dehydrated, manifested most dramatically by sunken eyeballs. It becomes weak and depressed and death may occur in a few hours or after several days. Successful treatment and control of a scours outbreak demands a comprehensive investigation of the symptoms, history, nutritional and environmental factors. Early treatment is essential. Be guided by the recommendations of your veterinarian on the use of antibiotics and other medications. Give electrolyte fluids as soon as a calf starts to scour and continue till scouring stops. Two litres should be given every 6-8 hours to replace lost body fluids. Calves that cannot sit up without support usually require intravenous fluids and the attention of a veterinarian. Keep calves clean and warm with plenty of bedding. Blankets, sacks
    or heat lamps may be necessary.

Control measures include the avoidance of overcrowding and prolonged confinement of cattle especially in the calving area. Calve cows and heifers separately, preferably with heifers calving a month before the cows. Minimize stress in newborn calves and provide extra care for weak calves. A weak calf which develops scours could start an outbreak, because it may discharge large numbers of organisms during and for a long period of time after it has recovered from scours. Vaccines are available to assist in controlling scours but are . only effective if management is optimal. Your veterinarian is in the best position to make recommendations for your herd.

So the short answer is no there is no scientific studies to show any influence/control/elimination of scours using Diatomeceous Earth. If it helps you sleep at night great, it might be worth it. If you are using all the other management techniques such as vaccines, reducing mixing of new animals, clean dry bedding, adequate space for calves then maybe try it, my first answer is that it is not worth it, try the other things first. "Scours is truely an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of Cure"

Comment

We have been using DE in its purest form for several years. It seems very effective in first reducing scours and if a calf does scour, (maybe he is not par-taking in the free choice DE), I use a chalk bottle and fill his mouth with DE. One treatment normally does the trick, if he is severly de-hydrated he gets a tubing of electrolites and fluid. I have lost but one calf to scours and that was before we used DE. Knock on wood, we calve out 130 plus cows in March and April.
      Another use we have found is in our horse diet. Oats are mixed with a small amount of DE for a couple weeks in the Spring and again in the Fall. This ration seems to cut the worms out very effectively.
      We have absolutely no modern scientific proof for the above two processes but most age old cures and remedies seem to lack modern sciences approval. Their answer is to always load up with inoculations and anti-biotics. Anti-biotics in our herd are almost non-existent and are used only as a last resort. Anti-biotic treated animals are always shipped after their withdrawal period.

Comment

We don't use it ourselves, but know quite a few who do. Our vet feels that if the calves are picking up infectious agents such as coccidia as a result of eating dirt, then eating DE instead may help. That is about the extent of it. It also seems to be a 'localized' thing, as in our part of the country we have no problem with calves eating dirt, nor do our neighbours, but 40 miles away, it seems to be a very common problem. Perhaps it is a mineral deficiency or something like that which is causing the dirt-eating. As for treating scours, there are much better ways to do that. Talk to your vet.

Comment

I am from Manitoba, Canada and offer a polite reply to the information provided by j millang in regards to diatomaceous earth. I would like to clarify a few points.

Your statement in your 2nd paragraph, "However several references indicate marginal or poor performance of this product" is refferring only to use of diatomaceous earth in grain and not livestock. I visited the university website that you mentioned and read the information pertaining to your statement. The report of LaHue(1967) is an evalution of malathion, synergized pyrethrum, and a de as protectants on wheat against insects in sorghum grain in small bins. USDA Marketing Res. Report 781 and the White et al (1975) is an evaluting de, silica aerogel dust and malathion to protect stored wheat from insects. USDA Marketing Res Report 1038.

Diatomaceous Earth is approved in both Canada and the US for "use as an inert carrier or anti-caking agent in feeds in an amount not to exceed 2% (in weight) of the total diet." Therefore, I would understand this to mean that it is does not irritate or cause damage to the intestines or animal. I do agree that if someone is inhaling it on a regular bases, it would irritate their lungs etc; just like field dust or insulation.

There are various different grades and types of diatomaceous earth. The harmful products are ones used for filtration, because they have been heated to high temperatures. I understand that this type is carcenogenic, because it increases the crystalline silica content. The Star Lake Beef Diatomaceous Earth that we use has a crystalline content of less than 0.5%.

I appreciate your statement "Scours is truly an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" I agree with this, because I believe 100% in this product. It is working in our cow/calf operation as a preventative measure. We offer it to the baby calves as an alternative to the dirt and old manure they usually chew on. This product is a natural (non-medicated) way, to prevent the calves from eating dirt. Producers that have e-mailed and spoke to me say that with their calves not eating dirt, they are not witnessing the problems that they previously had with coccidiosis and scours.

I truly believe that we have to have an open mind here. Think back to when everyone believed the world was flat. They couldn't comprehend the idea that it could be round. I feel this is a similar situation, because you have educated people saying there is no proven research. On the other hand, you having working people (the cow/calf producers) who are open to suggestion. They try the product and appreciate the results.

I do not believe this product is a cure all or that it would help baby calves with scours. I do believe that people having problems with older calves, 4-6 weeks will truly benefit by offerring this product from birth. The calves actually leave the bacteria infected dirt alone and eat this stuff.

In a polite reply to Jmillang's comment "Story goes that the agent causing the scours eats the silica and as such has it's insides cut and ruptures from the inside" I am curious as to where this comment originated. All the info for grain use is that it is an external, physical kill by an abrasing and dehydration process. Why would it behave differently internally in animals.

I have a couple of theories for those interested in the topic. First of all, I think that from the calf not eating dirt and old manure, it has to combat less bacteria and virus. Secondly I believe that because the silica is not digested, it acts similar to fibre in human. It gently abraises the intestinal wal, so that no bacteria or virus can actually take hold and start problems. It would work similar to people who add fibre to their diet. Because this product has absorbing capabilities, it absorbs extra fluids causing a bulking action, so it keeps the intestinal villi clean of bacteria/virus. With the villi clean, the calf is better able to absorb the nutrients avaialable from the food in the intestine.

I also believe that calves are attracted to this product when they have minor stomach upset from too much milk. Just like a human who will reach for a Tums, the calf goes to the de as a natural buffer to it's upset tummy. The product has an alkaline pH, so I believe it counter acts with the acidosis, keeping everything healthy.

I think people discussing the use of diatomaceou earth have to have an open mind, not a closed one expecting it not to work. Why would thousands of producers be feedingthis product, if there was no beneficial effect. Producers do not have an unlimited money supply, that they can fork over cash for every product. I believe they have to be selective and make the most economical and beneficial choices.

Lastly I must add, that I have found that not all diatomaceous earth products are the same, although they may be classified as pure, fresh water food grade. It truly depends on the mine that they come from, because all geological processes that formed diatomite are different and they could be contaminated with heavy metal, volcanic ash or other clays. I have researched a few different products and the mineral content definitely varies as does the shape of the diatoms.

Like buying a new bull, you get what you pay for, so do some research before you buy. Find out what others have used and what benefits they have found. I do know that the major feed companies in Manitoba and Saskatchewan stock Star Lake Beef Diatomaceous Earth as well as some veterinary clinics. In Alberta there are a couple of companies, since use of the product out there is just developing.

Once again, if anyone has any specific questions, comments or de information that they could share with me, please e-mail me direct at scoursolutions@mts.net. Take Care and Best of Luck in with 2001 Calving Season.

I do believe that management still plays a major role in your calving success.

Comment

We have never used this product but thought I'd say what we do to cut down on scours. We put out lots of salt blocks. By lots I mean about a dozen at a time for 200 head. The calves them lick the salt instead of the dirt. (scatter the blocks everywhere and don't let them run out befor replacing) We have done this for 5 years after reading about it in a farm magazine and it seems to work quite well for us.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...