• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Grazing Grass

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Grazing Grass

I was looking into seed a marginal quarter to grass and custom grazing it out. I looked at few Proven seed blends. Most of the rates require 8 lbs per acre (around $15.00/acre). I this a bit high or about right.

Also, what are most guys paying for custom grazing?

Also, on an aveage rainfall year in the brown soil zone, how many head could a person run on 160 acres for about 4 months?

Thanks.

Going to take a shot at this although I'm sure others have a lot better numbers and experience. Grassfarmer could probably give you some better numbers.
    How you set things up might make quite a difference...rotational grazing etc.
    I would think 8 lbs./acre might be fairly low? More like 10-12 lbs./acre for a good stand? And probably a year to get it established?
    A cow/calf on tame pasture probably requires 2 acres in my area which is black soil and usually decent rainfall...probably similar to Yorkton!
    The going rate is $30/month/cow-calf here for five months? Grassers are usually classed in that 2/3 of what a cow costs although most grassers are grazed on a weight gain these days. I think anywhere from 35 to 50 cents a pound? So if a steer put on 250 lbs(2 lbs./day) over four months you might get about $87.50 to $125 for 2 acres X 2/3 = $66 to $95 per acre!
    As I said pretty ball park figures.

Comment

Pretty good answer cowman. Only thing I'll add is to talk to several different graziers, and take what'll work for your operation from each. Bruce Downey from Castor is with the Grazing Mentorship Program, or call the Ag Info Hotline 1-866-882-7677, and they'll hook you up with the mentor from your area. Bruce is a custom grazier, and helped me a bunch with questions I had. He runs 1800-2000 steers in one herd, using rotational systems and electric fence.

But many things will factor into or influence what you'll be able to do. Fencing, proximity to water for each paddock, time you have to rotate groups, etc. Make yourself a plan -IN WRITING - and use it as a guide for the year.

Comment

I definitely agree there is a lot more to it than what I laid out. Who provides the salt/mineral, who supervises the pasture, who pulls the sick ones and pays the vet bill, where do you weigh them and under what conditions?
        I would also want some assurance of timely payment as some people are nothing more than scoundrels looking for some free grass or else there is a major wreck in the marketplace and they can't pay you. Money up front might be the way to go?

Comment

To prevent the deadbeats from shafting you, look up the Liverley stable act (spelling?) Its an old law that will protect the custom grazer/feeder. I know it is still in use in A.B. It essentially allows you to sell the herd to recoup any amount owing you, after a couple of simple steps are done first. Your lawyer can tell you more. It sure saved my bacon, and sure turned the tables on the other guy.

Comment

Watch out for the deadbeats who don't take care of the cattle properly-let herds mix etc. Custom grazing had better be right on both sides or it can be a wreck. Quite a few 'farmers' think it's the next money tree but don't have even basic stockmanship skills. I'm pretty fussy about where my cattle spend their summer after a couple bad experiences.

Comment

Just talked to a man from Sask ag. on intensive grasing. He said at the rate of inquires Sask Ag is getting, if everyone fallows through with intentions 25% of cultivated land will be seeded to grass in the next two years and there will be an abundace of grazing land. Therefore it would be a cattlemans dream and a landowners nightmare.
              Could this be true?

Comment

Thanks for the information guys!

Comment

There is no chance that 25 % of sask crop land will be seeded to grass in the next two years. Back to the original topic, don't cheap out on establishing a pasture. It is not an easy money making scheme to switch to grass. For most grain farmers they would be better off selling the poor marginal land they farm to somebody with grazing experience than trying to play a new game themselves.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...