• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Value Chains

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Value Chains

I would be interested in talking to anyone that would like to know more about Value Chains in the Beef Industry. Brainstorm and feedback on how we can make these cost cutting innovative manegment structures save you money, time and effort as well as ensure your future stability in the Industry!

I run a cow -calf- to finish operation in Manitoba and my finished product is shipped directly from my farm into the states where the money far exceeds what I would get up here.... would it be possible for a farmer like my self to pay a Canadian packing plant to put my name on the label of the beef that I produce? That may sound stupid if I was the only one ..... but would the consumer not feel more comfortable knowing that at least I had the guts to tell them who I was and if so would they pay a little extra to buy that packers' meat products....thus recouping my extra costs and making up the difference between 'choice (US) and select (CAN) my 2 cents Jeff

Comment

Jeff: The simple answer is yes! The concept of the Value Chain is to allow the product to be traced back through the supply chain. We have seen and still see dramatic increases in 'BRANDED' products. The idea being the give the consumer a consistant product to choose. In the Canadian Value chin vision, You bring the obvious to the for front People are more and more concerned that the product is safe, the animals are treated well and the environment is respected. By you being a leader and putting your name on the product, the brand (your name) would carry many positive messages to the consumer. By establishing a stable shipping, processing and distribution channel, it has been proven that costs can be cut and you can also see premium money for your product if indeed it is of high quality and consistant. Doug For more information visit http://valuechain.homestead.com/index.html Contact me directly if you wish more information through the web Page.

Comment

I did visit the web page and I feel very strongly that you are on the right track ..... farmers tend to be a very proud bunch and these days it's probably our pride that gets us up in the morning.... I'm sure that there would be very few farmers that wouldn't want their name on their product ... it sounds like we're going to be doing alot of last minute tagging from now on anyways..... have a great day and keep up the good work ... I'm on your side Jeff

Comment

Jeff: Thank you for your vote of confidence. As you know this battle is an up hill war. Seems like those who are paying for are, as usual, the ones that can afford it the least. However, my feeling is that the producers are sick and tired of being sick and tired and a growing number in Canada are putting small groups together to make it happen. Let me know if you would like to take the next step. You feed the world.

Comment

Well what is the next step?...My cattle go south normally to IBP ... would it not be the packing plant that has to take that step?

Comment

Bob: Your question is; Isn't it up to the packing plant to take the next step? The simple answer is no! Actually the packers have been reluctant to give up their position in the supply chain for reasons we both know and do not have to go into here. But they are interested in increasing their kill and keeping the lines moving. Given that information if you wish to ensure the long term success of your operation then there are several factors to look at. The Canadian Cattlemen's Association held a work shop in Banff January 26 &27, 1998 and from that workshop came a publication called 'RE-ENGINEERING THE BEEF INDUSTRY WORKSHOP'. There is some interesting reading in this publication although there were some things in it that I was not totally on board with. Also the Government has provided each province with an Executive Director that is involved in the assistance of developing Value Chains, I have discussed our initiative proposal with our Alberta rep and although they enjoy the novelty of my 10 year effort and 35 years experience at every level of the supply chain. Their approach is you put it all together and we will look at funding part of it! None the less their their web page has an article that is inspiring if nothing else, called Value Chains: Strategy for Alberta's Agri-food Industry. You will find this web site at .... www.agfoodcouncil.com It is a press release from March 30, 2000. The formula for success in a Value Chain is simple yet complex. Your vision of putting your own brand with your name on the package falls directly in line with the future of the industry. However, to make it work many others must also be convinced of the Value Chain merits and the whole process must be tracked, monitored and mediated by a third party (in my opinion) firstly to keep communication lines open, secondly to ensure your product is consistent with the specs that are required in the market and thirdly to ensure that Your costs are cut and the benefits are equitable for each participant. You may think this sounds like a lot of effort, and you are right, but no more effort then it would take to try to save a fragmented market, or your business as it bounces up and down in the market, or the value in the long term of your business. You have an opportunity to make something happen now, if you want to. Will be interesting to see your thoughts?

Comment

Jeff

Feel free to contact me via e mail and I would be pleased to up date you on some very interesting information on the vision of independent beef production. I am sure you will be most pleased with the bulk of the plan thus far and I would be interested in your thoughts on improving the vision and taking part in a possible pilot project in the future if you are interested!

Any other independent beef producers that are interested in sharing their vision and the possibility of participation in a pilot project, please feel free to contact me at valuechain@home.com

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...