• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One place where our focus should be.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One place where our focus should be.

I heard this today on a rural radio station. This applies to every aspect of agriculture, but after reading the posts about the latest BSE, I thought to post it here. I wonder how any of those people surveyed would feel after reading some of these posts.

Surveys Show Canadian Consumers Lack Trust in Food Nutrition Claims
    Dr. Susan Jones - Ipsos Reid

Farmscape for January 24, 2006 (Episode 2041)

Research conducted by Ipsos Reid shows, while Canadian consumers want more information on the healthfulness of the food they consume, they're finding it increasingly difficult to trust that information.

Surveys conducted by Ipsos Reid and presented last week at the Banff Pork Seminar indicate Canadian consumers get most of their information about food from the media, primarily television or newspaper.

Vice President of Agribusiness, Food and Animal Health Dr. Susan Jones says Canadians indicate, while they want to eat in a more healthy manner, understanding what to eat to be healthy is so confusing they don't know what to eat.

Clip-Dr. Susan Jones-Ipsos Reid

Canadians are really very interested now in understanding how to eat in a healthful manner but Canadians are confused.

In fact, in a recent survey that we did we saw that six in ten Canadians agree that there are so many choices out there now and so much conflicting and confusing information about what is healthy they don't know what to eat anymore and they don't know what they should choose in order to make a healthy choice.

While eight in ten Canadians agree that it would be helpful if the industry would label food products so they would understand what's a regular choice versus a healthy choice, the industry has a problem in that four in ten Canadians are not comfortable that the industry is telling the truth so, when a food manufacturer puts a label on a product as being more healthy, Canadians are not sure that they can believe that claim.

What we've seen in our research is that consistently, whether it's information about food safety, whether it's information about the environment, whether it's information about healthfulness, Canadians look for third party independent sources to tell them what really should they be doing, what's the right thing to do, what is the truth, far more than they look to industry to tell them.

Dr. Jones says it depends on the topic but if we're talking about food quality, nutrition and safety consumers trust university professors, physicians, dietitians, those that they perceive have expert knowledge and are independent from manufacturers and independent from any business interests.

For Farmscape.Ca, I'm Bruce Cochrane.

*Farmscape is a presentation of Sask Pork and Manitoba Pork Council

I wonder if the consumer just gets overwhelmed by the whole "food safety" issue? Every scientist worth his salt comes out with all these warnings again and again and if you don't like todays warning we'll change it tommorrow!
    So this week eggs are evil and will surely kill you...next week they are the best thing since the fountain of youth!
    Take BSE for instance? The first couple of cases you would have thought the world had ended? Now its "Ho Hum...boring! Flip the channel"!
    I guess food safety is like the boy calling wolf? If you do it enough and people realize it mostly is BS then pretty soon you get ignored?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...