• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle Corrals

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle Corrals

I am planning to build a new corral and am looking at what material to build it out of. Most people say metal is better. Where might one find pipe at a good price?

I don't know where you are located but have you considered building your corral with prebuilt pipe panels ? You can either build it yourself out of pipe or buy panels built to your specifications, have gates where you need them and the best part is the ability to move the entire corral for cleaning, reconfiguring pens etc. The only permanent fixture is the water source.

Comment

Portable steel corral panels made out of oilfield tubing are the only way to go. I'm currently making some myself. Just ask whoever you know in the patch and they can probably point you to the right person that controls the bone yard pile.

Comment

most companies that manufacture these panels have a ready source of pipe and tubing spoken for well in advance. DarTar Manufacturing out of Drayton Valley has a huge business manufacturing free standing panels, of all sizes. They do on site visits to assist the producer in developing a custom design for corrals, and deliver them all across AB and Sask.

Comment

Check the Western Producer ads under pipe and steel. They have people who sell used oil field pipe all over western Canada.

Comment

If your building up of free standing panels, make sure you put in a few post along the sides or avery least the corners to stop the pens from changing shape if the cows crowd into on end or side...

Looking at setting up handling systems on the pastures this way for the major processing and gathering times. design it, pound some posts in the corners and a couple along the sides and then when time to process, just bring the panels over and set up. That way we have multiple corral systems at various locations with only 1 set of fixed cost fences.

For treating in an ongoing basis, that is done with a few small (10' light panels) or a couple of horses.

Comment

The panels I have are built out of 2 7/8" pipe and have four inch pipe legs at either end. The same design have been used at the local community pasture for penning up bulls and even bulls fighting haven't moved the panels at all.

I have some with both 16' gates and walk in gates in them.

Comment

The corrals should be heavy duty as bulls can bend light ones. I live in SW Alta. Are there ever good used panels? will have to look at possible places for used pipe.

Comment

There are sometimes used panels at farm sales up in this country and at the annual Machinery and Equipment Sale at Entwistle a couple of fellows that manufacture them usually bring some to sell on consignment.

Comment

The 2 7/8 pipe usually runs about a $1 a foot at the auctions in central Alberta.

Comment

Ya and 2x6 is 50 cents/foot so the question is do you want to build it once or build it twice?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...