• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RFID-LOST

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFID-LOST

I've learned to put the RFID tags in the cattle's ear just before they go onto the truck for sale. That way when the plastic part that go's throw the ear gets rubbed smaller from being rubbed on trees, fences, feeder etc. and finally falls out and is lost, its someone else's problem to find the missing tag.
    I had 7 head on that set aside program, 2 yearing bulls and 5 heifers. The 2 yearling bulls lost the tags within one month at the hay feeder, I found both tags and just handed them to the buyers, bulls went as breeding stock, so will not be going for beef for atleast 3or more years. Am keeping the heifers as replacements, noticed a tag in the manger just yesterday, I must remember to look for it tomarrow, so I can put it in a safe place I case I needed it at some point.
    Those little plastic backings really do, need to be made of metal. But I for one would rather have the plastic rub thin, then a nice looking heifer with a rip in the ear. Page wire fence and hay feeders, take the tags right out of the ear.
    I'm not careless when putting the tags in the ears, I do it right, but they still lose tags.
    I bought a heifer about 4 years ago, she had a RFID tag, came from Quebec, I think the tag is gone, haven't noticed it lately. If I even sell her in the next few years, do I just put another tag in her ear and say bye. Should I of wrote the tag number down, I know it's to late now, but In the future. Thats why I like the tattoo, It never gets lost.

Question, what make of tag do you use. I've been using alflex and the retention on them are horrible and I know the tag is going to be lost because they don't fit the alflex tagger worth a darn and you don't know if you put it together right or not. Now I just picked up some ryflex from my vet and am really impressed with how they fit the applicator and how they went into the animal. At least I am confident with these, that they are secure to start with anyway.

Comment

Just started using the Duflex tags. Certainly not good in cold(as any of them), but that can be worked around. I like hearing the double snap when I put them in. The applicator is well put together. NOW we'll see how they stay in. So long as I remember all the twines, it shouldn't be my fault if we loose any.

Too bad though they haven't figured out a dangle tag with it.

Comment

Alicia, keep in mind that your bulls for breeding stock could be hamburger inside of 6 months. Bulls are bound to break things, like themselves, so you might want to cover yourself with those tag numbers.

Comment

Pure-Country-I wrote the tag #'s right on the registration papers. And down beside the birth report on the dams sheet. I bought the right applicator for the tags and they do work good.
          The part of the tag that fails is the part between the back and the front. The part that holds the two togeather inside the ear. It is know bigger than the part of a pen that the ink is in.
          It seams to break right at the back, by the button or right at the metal part that goes into the tag itself.

That is way I go one more step and get the driver to sign a paper that all cattle are tag before they leave the farm gate. The #'s of each animal are also written down, and birth day, sex. I only sell a few at a time so its easy for me, I'm just passing along what I have found out about the tags. Its bad enought to have to tag once, let a lone find that some are missing tag just as they are going on the truck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...