• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont wait on Japan boys

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont wait on Japan boys

75% Of Japanese Say They Won't Eat US Beef

Tue Dec 6, 2005 07:04 AM CST

-Respondents Cite Concerns Over Safety; Say Japan Should Demand Blanket Testing

TOKYO (AP) -- Most Japanese would avoid eating American beef even if imports were resumed, with consumers deeply wary of U.S. beef because of fears about mad cow disease, according to a news agency survey released Tuesday.

Just over 75 percent of respondents in a telephone poll by Kyodo News agency said they would be unwilling to eat U.S. beef, compared to 21.2 percent who said they would consume it, the agency said.

Japan's food safety watchdog last week started studying public comments on a report that found little difference in the risk of infection from mad cow disease between U.S. and Japanese beef -- a final stage before recommending that a 2-year ban on the imports be lifted.

In the Kyodo poll, 62.5 percent of respondents who intended to shun U.S. beef cited concerns over its safety, while 20.6 percent said there was no need to eat U.S. beef due to the availability of domestic and Australian beef.

In response to a multiple-answer question on what the government should do before resuming American beef imports, 56.5 percent said Japan should demand the U.S. conduct blanket testing of all slaughtered cattle for mad cow disease, and 35.1 percent stressed the need to ensure that any conditions imposed by Japan are fully observed in the U.S.

Tokyo banned American beef in December 2003 after the discovery of the first U.S. case of mad cow disease.

Japan was then the most lucrative overseas market for U.S. beef, and an increasingly impatient Washington has pushed hard for the ban to be lifted. The Japanese government has said it will resume imports as soon as it gets the go-ahead from the food safety commission.

Eating beef from parts of cattle prone to becoming infected with mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, can cause a fatal brain disorder in humans.

Kyodo's poll had 1,009 respondents and gave no margin of error.

...the producers in canada have done everything the system has asked of them...its up to our govt now...

Comment

I guess if the Japanese consumer won't buy it, then we'll have to move towards testing? I think the CCA has basically acknowledged that might be a possibility?
      The big problem has always been the USA? They are adament that we follow the "science" and as always we dance to their tune? At least so far?
      I said from the very start "test them all"...not necessarily because it made sense but as a marketing tool? Maybe I was ahead of my time?
      Hopefully the Japanese consumer will see that a product that is identified with an RFID tag in a national registry and age verified through that system, is a safe product? Don't know if you can say the same for American beef with no system set up and none likely in the future? Have you Americans been asleep or something?

Comment

cowman- looking at the specs required for the Japanese BEV program, the calves I've sold for the last 4 years fit under the program for shipment to Japan...Both individual ID tagged and hot iron branded with state certification of ownership- with a signed affidavit of oldest birth date, feed, vaccinations, pasture locations- with access to ranch records of individual birth dates or further info if requested....They also went with verification of no implants/no antibiotics....

There have been a lot of calves going out of this area with those affidavits and verification for the last 3-4 years- even prior to BSE......

Comment

Well Willowcreek that is pretty impressive and I would think the Japanese would accept that(normally)? What happens to these calves when they go to the packinghouse? I assume they are intended for export(in a normal market)?
          Do you actually get a premium for them or do they end up in a generic mix at Tyson/Cargill/Swift? Or are they marketed a whole different way?
          I would think that is a good program.

Comment

cowman- Not sure where mine end up as I haven't followed them, except to know that the same buyer/feeders have bought them for years- and have received good comments from them...And I've been getting top of the market prices- which at times has been $10 cwt or more over the generic calves...

Some of this started back when Future Beef was operating- anyway thats the first I saw it- where the buyers would require signed affidavits...

Even before North America found BSE some of the feedlots were requiring affidavits showing all this info...I was told by the buyers that they were destined for the Japanese market, which was already requiring that info then...They were ID tagged by the feedlot immediately upon arrival using their own system, tracked thru feeding and slaughter, and that copies of all affidavits, brand inspections and info went with the beef in the box...Lot of these cattle were going to feedlots in Colorado, that fed for one packer (I can't remember the name, altho it was not Tyson or Cargil)...This year almost every sort of calves I worked were requiring it....

So it appears that there are already feeders and slaughter plants set up to handle Japan...

Comment

Well Willowcreek I guess that just shows us all we don't need the government to do everything for us? Hope the Japanese can see it that way?
              When mandatory ID was being introduced in Canada, I wasn't all that keen on it! Government interference in my business sort of thing? However after talking to the late Carl Block I became convinced it was a good thing for the cattle industry. Still bugs me that I do all the labor and expense while the feedlots, packers and retailers get most of the benifit! I thought at the very least the government could have paid for the tags, after all food safety is their job!
              Glad to see though that you cowmen down there are serious about providing a safe product.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...