• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presort sale

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presort sale

Yesterday at the Innisfail presort, 3800 head. Black heifers sold very well with a lot going east and American buyers were buying fairly heavily.
    A really strong market on calves in that 450-550 range that will be heading back to grass next spring. Saw one group of Char-cross steers, 553 lbs that sold for $1.4025 some 450 lbs sold for $1.62/lb.

As a feedlot operator, a pre sort sale is a waste of time. Although you're calves might be in a tight weight category, ist a way of camoflaging you poor calves.

There may be a 6 month difference in age between any group of presorted caalves and definately a huge difference in ADG. SO WHY PRESORT?

Comment

wd40: Well someone is sure buying them at the presort? I think it is a pretty good way to sell and buy cattle.
      In a normal situation a buyer gets an order for X number of calves. He might sit all day at a mart assembling that load? The calves assembled might come from several herds. All a presort does is have that load assembled by the auction staff? Obviously you need competent people sorting the lots?
      I do know in my area it has become the dominant way of selling and is very much accepted by the buyers.
      For the sellers you don't take that huge shrink on fresh calves that would occur. You take a straight 3% pencil shrink.
      In about 2-3 hours 3000 calves are sold and on their way.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...