• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cull cows?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cull cows?

The USDA has announced they will be moving towards opening the border to older animals in about six months? Now as the story unfolds it turns out it could take longer than that due to the antics of R-CALF?
    Perhaps it would be helpful if the Canadian government stated a date for the border garbage to stop or they will implement a test for every animal over 24 months killed in Canada? Then go after US export markets in a big way?
    I find it strange that Canada has jumped through all the hoops to assure the world our beef is safe, while the USA has basically done nothing? All our cattle have an ID tag with an RFID tag mandatory next year? A large number of our calves are now age verified(voluntarily) with a mandatory requirement in the future? We have a very good testing system in place through the downer program while the USA continues to fudge the numbers? If you know anyone who is in the feed mill business you will know the CCIA has come down on them like a ton of bricks!
    But fear not its R-CALF to the rescue! They are going to keep the American cattleman solvent by lying and suing the government!
    Why get efficient and compete when you can lobby and sue the government?
    Unfortunately they have succeeded in producing more enemies for the US? More anti-American sentiment? Is this a good thing?
    You Americans: Do you like it when you travel abroad that you know most of the world hates you? That the waiter at the restaurant is spitting in your food(or worse)! It must really burn you that you have to put a little maple leaf on your luggage and try to pass yourself off as Canadians?
    Now I am pro-American. Always have been and always will. I do believe the US has more risk takers and entrepreneurs than anywhere else in the world. It does bother me when some halfwits(R-CALF) do stupid things that hurt your image as free enterprizers and free and fair traders.

cowman- Did you happen to notice the last paragraph in the press release that NCBA issued on this border opening?

“Earlier this year, NCBA was instrumental in convincing USDA to limit both live cattle and boxed beef imports from Canada to 30 months of age and younger. Our producer-members adopted this policy based on sound science and in the interest of fair trade.”

I thought it was interesting that they mentioned "fair trade". Before it was always only "sound science". Some of it comes about over their trying to get Canada to drop its 10 year trade barriers against US cattle--

and some comes about as an effort to stop the rapid loss of their membership to R-CALF--

but I wonder if some isn't coming because of a nationwide trend- a general population which is getting tired of outsourcing US jobs, industry and production...Many are tired of using the US dollar to develop these second and third world countries, only to have them slap us (US) in the face when/if we ask for help...These countries are quickly advancing the protectionist/isolationist movement in the states...They are also finally learning that NAFTA may have meant free trade, but did not mean "Fair Trade"- altho I admit, most of the problems are coming from the southern border.

The Canadian cattle industry is a good example- After NAFTA and Pre-BSE there were Canadian cattle and US cattle-and all US cattle were considered diseased and needed to be tested to go north...Along comes BSE and the border closure and we hear Canadians and Packers (who don't want to lose access to their captive supply) spieling "North American Herd"- all supposedly the same....

Remember R-CALF already won a dumping ruling on beef against Canada- but they could not show that it monetarily affected the prices and producers earnings- Now with a border closure and a history of the price differences they can....

Screw me once, shame on you--Screw me twice, shame on me............At least R-CALF is continually fighting for who they represent- the U.S. cattle producer...

Comment

OT- Keep up with your R-calf buddies and the whole world will hate you!!

Thats the way the cookie crumbles. Id personally like to see the slaughter capacity kick up for OTM cattle here b4 th eborder opens.

Comment

I do agree that at least R-Calf fights for thier producer where as here in Canada we just try to screw our neibouras as long as I get what I want .
        I dont agree with thier arguments but Ido agree with the fact they stand up and be counted.

Comment

Well I thought the problem with blue tongue and the other disease was pretty well solved? I think it was basically a pretty cheap test prior to that, not an outright ban? And I also believe your own state required the same test for animals entering your area? Correct me if I'm wrong?
          You say Americans are getting sick of outsourcing jobs? I hate to tell you this but you are in the process of outsourcing a good portion of your packing industry...do you think Tyson and Cargill have been asleep up here? Independent plants are also being built up here to process the raw materials(cattle) that used to go to American plants! Is that smart? The fact is in the very near future we will be able to kill and process every animal we produce.
          I suspect the day will come when you Montana cattlemen will be very happy to send your calves north to be fed in the big feedlots and slaughtered in the new efficient plants in Alberta? Might be better to not beat us up too much...?

Comment

cowman- "Well I thought the problem with blue tongue and the other disease was pretty well solved? I think it was basically a pretty cheap test prior to that, not an outright ban? And I also believe your own state required the same test for animals entering your area? Correct me if I'm wrong?"

cowman- according to the following article it appears the issue has not been solved....Which means that my cattle that run 30 miles from the border are still considered "diseased".

-----------------------------------

Today 11/22/2005 7:53:00 AM

NCBA Balks At Canadian Cattle Over 30 Months

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association, irritated by slow rule-making in Canada that has blocked U.S. breeding cattle from heading north, has said it will not support a USDA rule, to be issued in 2006, that would allow the import from Canada of live cattle over 30 months of age.

"NCBA's commitment to free trade is well documented, and we speak with great credibility on this issue," said Terry Stokes, NCBA chief executive. "Normalization of trade is our goal, but normalization is a two-way street."

Stokes and NCBA's animal health expert Dr. Gary Weber met with Canadian Food Inspection Agency personnel, as well as representatives of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and the Canadian Cattlemen's Association late last week to discuss access to the Canadian market of U.S. feeder and breeding cattle. The feeder cattle issues seem to be moving toward resolution, Stokes said, but restrictions on breeding stock, especially related to bluetongue and anaplasmosis, remain burdensome.

"Earlier this year, NCBA was instrumental in convincing USDA to limit both live cattle and boxed beef imports from Canada to 30 months of age or younger," Stokes said. "Our producer-members adopted this policy based on sound science and in the interest of free trade."

Comment

Well I don't really understand the fuss over this? I mean the NCBA basically is saying the feeder cattle thing isn't a big deal, just breeding cattle?
              Anytime we want to sell breeding stock to the USA(pre-BSE...no breeding stock allowed now from Canada) we always had to test them for Bangs...even though we didn't have Bangs! How hard is it to get a test for Bluetongue/anaplasmosis?
              I also believe Montana requires a test for both those diseases if cattle are coming in from affected areas?
              This is basically a red herring...and I think you know it! But I do believe the NCBA might be trotting this old tired excuse so they don't rile up all the R-CALFERS?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...