• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

corrals?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corrals?

A long time ago we decided pipe was the only way to go with corrals. Despite the rising costs of steel there are still some fairly decent prices on used oil field pipe and sucker rods?
    The other day I saw fir planks advertized at $1.25 board foot. Is this pretty standard these days? Seems awful high?
    2 3/8 inch pipe is still in that $1.10 ft. range I believe? Now obviously over the years I've gotten a lot of sweetheart deals on pipe so don't really know the price, but it used to always be $30 for a 30 foot joint?
    3/4 inch sucker rod is really cheap, about 25 cents/foot?
    It always made sense to me to build it once with pipe instead of lumber and repair forever!

Any of the corrals where I used sucker rod have four inch pipe posts with holes blown through for the sucker rod vs welding the sucker rods.I have one pen with four inch pipe posts and cable strung through, it makes a good corral for bulls.

My sorting pens are four inch pipe with tubing so they are pretty solid !!!

Comment

The sucker rod thru the 4”well pipe sound like a good fix to me.
      How far apart can you space the posts?

Comment

All the steel posts are 8' even the ones with cable. The cable fences have a top rail of 2 7/8 pipe then four strands of cable. They have turnbuckles on them to ensure they stay tight.

We were able to buy a half mile of old 4" pipe that was being replaced so cut it into 26" lengths and hauled it home with the two trailers.

Recently my son loaded up the last 12 joints and used it for pilings for his deck so the pipe that was purchased in 1972 has provided a frame for the barn; corral posts;posts for the alleyway;corner posts for the carport, and other assorted posts around the barnyard.

Comment

Quite a few pipeline companies have sections of 4 inch pipe for sale. Lots of pipe for sale in the western producer? Personally I like the 2 3/8 pipe for rails, or 2 inch if I can get it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...