• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presort sale

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presort sale

Caught part of the presort sale at Innisfail yesterday and it looks like the prices are on the way up? That was a hot sale!
    Lots of big stout calves in that 700 lb. range were pushing that $900 and over range. The heifer spread seems to be widening? Up to 20 cents a pound!
    Now here is something I found interesting? Some guy brought in a large group of steers and chose to sell them as his own rather than put them in the presort. These were good calves without a doubt, age verified, Pfizer Gold program. I believe they sold for less than the presort calves in the same weight class! Saw the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago!
    Now why is this happening? You would think that guy should be getting a premium but in fact he was taking a loss? I wonder if he'll bother with the Pfizer Gold program or age verification next year? It must be frustrating to try to do the right thing for health and safety and go through all the expense and time, and in the end lose money on the deal? So much for all this quality BS?
    We did the age verification thing although we do intend to sell some of the calves in a presort. Pretty dumb I guess? However we are keeping quite a few over and hopefully we will get paid somewhere down the road for those ones? The boy says it is a real pain in the butt entering the data for age verification on the CCA site.
    One other thing. The most active buyer there was buying for export to the States!

He probably didn't get a premium because they were going to take them out back and put them in loads of mixed calves anyway.

It's going to take some time to start seeing premiums, but I don't think we should give up on them just yet. One day the buyers will decide they need age verified and high health calves, and it's not that much work to be prepared. After all, we would keep track of their ages and vaccinate them any way, so not much would change for us except to let them know what we are doing. If they want to pay us more, good, but if they don't, it won't stop us from keeping on doing it.

Submitting the birthdates isn't hard if you've got a computer with Excel, and submit a spreadsheet.

Comment

Hate to burst your bubble, but 700lb calves were bringing $900 a month ago quite regularly. Our neighbours got that on the sat. sale in VJV, and most of the sat. sales in the weeks after that were hot.

Comment

kato: I agree that we should do whatever it takes to assure the customer we have a safe product. It is unfortunate we don't get paid for it. The boy said you have to enter each one seperate and yes he does have Excel. I asked him before he did it if he could use Excel and he said he couldn't! Maybe he never understood how it worked or something?
        If I get in the low $900s I'll be satisfied. I can make money at those prices.

Comment

Yeah, I guess anyone should be. We won't see $900 every year for our calves.

Comment

Cowman, have him use the 'contact us' link on the ccia site and ask for the instructions for the spreadsheet. They'll email them. It really is quite easy. They even send a template. Once he fills in the spreadsheet, he goes to their website and selects the option to upload a file. A box comes up with the browse button on it, he finds the file and clicks send. That's all there is to it. Once the spreadsheet is done, it takes maybe five minutes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...