• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

big numbers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big numbers

Last week the Innisfail Auction Mart moved 6700 head. At the same time the mart in Red Deer(A Nillson Bros mart) moved 2800.
    There was a time it was different. The mart at Red Deer was probably the top market in all of Alberta? Or at least on a par with VJV in Ponoka?
    When Red Deers' mart was owned by the Sims family it was well run. Then Sask Pool bought it and ran it into the ground until they basically were broke at which time Nillsons bought it. They hired a good manager and he turned it around, but some of Nillsons Bros. dirty tricks didn't go over too well? Like if you didn't sell all your calves/yearlings through them they wouldn't take your cows! This was when they were the only cow plant operating!
    When they tried to pull that stunt they lost a lot of business...that ain't ever coming back!

Great that there down in numbers, they talk about Tyson and Cargill are trying to take over the slaughter business Nillsons are as bad or worse. There was a small auction market close where we live that was for sale a couple years ago that Nillsons came in and bought then closed down. Heard that a widow was selling her and husbands cow and was luckly went to sale to see some one else cattle was being sold in her name. Makes you wonder does it not.

Comment

If I remember right Cryl Curan bought from sims or was it Lamaroux , Cryl started the 5 days a week sales and then the recycled cattle the vets (when we had vet inspection ) sent a lot of those calves out to be got back on feed before he could run them through the sale again, I think he came from down east with a lot of ideas. N B I here in clyde are still doing a lot of businiss but westlock has cut in and Ponoka took some.
      Its hard to tell how many catt;le sell or are fresh as N B I have rerun so many cattle hard to realy know.
      I guess in the business world they are looked up to as they seem to be able to make money and if it is a little shady soo who realy cares , I wonder if they realy own or does the Hong Kong Bank own.

Heard on the radio today that cattle # are down mabey just the feed situation or the open fall.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...