• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New farmer here

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New farmer here

Hey everyone..I'd just like to say hi and introduce myself. I am almost finished my Agriculture Degree in Animal Science at the Univerity of Alberta....Some people call me crazy but all I want to do is ranch. Recently my father and I purchased a farm and as soon as I finish school this year I plan on starting a grazing operation. I have farming blood in my veins and its the only thing I can see myself doing for the rest of my life!

WEll let me welcome you to one of the most chalenging profesions known to mankind and one of the most heartbreaking ones ,dont know your age but sounds a little like me 40 yr ago and I truly do wish you dont endup as cynical as me 40 yr from now.

Comment

Well, I am only 24 and I know it is a challenging profession. But I can't imagine doing anything else.

Comment

Well I assume you've done your homework and have your costs and revenues all figured out? And hey, if it works for you then go to it! It can be a pretty rewarding life if you can swing it.
        Outside with nature and seeing that you are actually producing something, instead of shuffling papers and pretending you are doing something!
        Might not be the most rewarding career financially, but definitely good for your soul!

Comment

Welcome DieselRam! Agriculture needs people with enthusiasm and new insights into how to get things done for the betterment of the industry. Blessings to you.

Comment

Careful Cowman - you're in danger of sounding positive.

DieselRam, I'm 28 and I'm getting to the point where we finally have a path laid out to our goal. Everyone criticized my choices and logic when I switched our program to June calving and Galloway bulls - including my family and folks on here. But you've gotta do what works best for you.

Don't be afraid to jump in headfirst, as long as you KNOW what you're jumping into.

Comment

Welcome DieselRam what area are you located? Myself I'am 31 & Farm in the the North Peace Country.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Allfarmer, Our farm is near Thorsby, Ab.

Comment

Good luck DieselRam. You are located in an area that is excellent for both grain and livestock so your operation can certainly be diverse.

Comment

Hey DieselRam,it's good to hear from someone 'crazy' and young,refreshing when most of us are 'older' crazy.I have the same blood disorder as you,and have been at it 27 years.Things looked pretty grim by times but it looks like I just might make it through BSE,as we did with drought,price crashes, and losing a leg to a baler.Stay true to your vision,but don't be afraid to alter your direction when necessary,mountains can be climbed ,gone around or tunneled through, tackle different mountains different ways.When the rest of the world tells you you're nuts ,just keep plugging along and say "thanks for noticing" .I have family members who think I'm nuts(and they have a fairly good argument ,eh cowman?)but they change jobs every few months or years ,move from time to time ,always chasing the "better".I'm miles ahead of them simply because I've been going the same general direction for 27 years.Some days you don't gain much ,some days you can't do anything other than back up,but remember , what you backed up from today is already tramped down for a run on tomorrow. Good luck ,keep us posted. ;-)

Comment

madcow: I don't think I ever said you were nuts...well maybe you are but if so then I guess I would have to say I am too?
                      Yep, it can be frustrating dealing with a low rate of return and all the goofiness of prices(both input and output)! However the old bottom line net worth keeps going up through thick and thin over the years! Don't know if that does us much good but our descendents should have a good time blowing it?
                      I guess the one benifit of ranching/farming is you are out with nature and at the end of the day you can see you actually accomplished something? It must be very frustrating for some people, who shuffle paper, to realize what they do is basically worthless, although they might be paid very well?
                      I believe true contentment doesn't come from money but from doing something you enjoy? Now if we could just make enough money to keep the darned wolf from the door...

Comment

Good post cowman, but I need to caution you DieselRam; taking all your advise from cowman will have you using hoesteader bulls and burning coal in that cookstove that you have to get up and stoke at five in the morning. Keep your head about you and grab an opportunity if it presents itself. I am 44 years old and have never had a job off the farm. Moved a few times to take advantage of good old real estate inflation, but always in Central Alberta, and always keeping that cow herd developing. With all the challenges facing this industry there is still lots of opportunity. Good Luck and welcome to Agri - vation.

Comment

Good advice from Randy. Don't mind his digs at me, I ruffled his feathers a bit in another post. He usually gets a bit snuffy after SH and agman beat him up over on Ranchers.net!

Comment

I'm a Mom, so I just have to toss out some advice here. Can't help it. LOL

A few things I have learned in 30 years in the cattle business.

1. Think for yourself. By the time you catch up to the latest 'trend' in the cattle business, it's old news.

2. Guard your reputation with everything you've got. It will carry you farther than anything else you will ever have.

3. Develop a network. Get to know people in the business. You never know when they will pop up and save your butt.

3. When everyone is doing one thing, it's a good idea to not do it. The best moves we ever made in the cattle business were when we did something no one else was. (You have to use a little common sense with this one!) LOL

4. Always have extra feed.

5. Always have a Plan B.

6. The banker is not your friend. His financial advice is designed to protect the bank, not you.

7. Take time off for rest and recreation. There's more to life than work.

8. Always remember that those big shots in the city with their three piece suits and fancy cars are dreaming of the day when they can finally retire to a little place in the country with trees and meadows and chirping birds. You already have it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of farming.

Comment

Beauty, kato.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...