• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has Grass Fed Beef?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has Grass Fed Beef?

Hey All, I'm a young guy just out of university, working for a small farmer-run NGO as a researcher. I've read your board quite a bit and it's helped me get a handle on producer opinions on things that matter. My question is, how many of you have Grass Fed beef? I know one producer in my area thinks it's a good opportunity for increased profit. What are your opinions on it?

Thanks for any replies.

That's what we're moving our operation towards completely; slowly but completely. I'm convinced it's the best match for our land base and topography, and a great way to keep costs to a minimum while marketing a 'niche' product. Hopefully it works out, but for now it's in the fledgling stages.

Comment

I think to get grassfed beef back on the market one would have to get back to the old british breeds I dont think you could grass fatten a sim or charolias they would just grow .
      I think the old shorthorn would be the way to go but you had better have a home for them yourself as the feeders dont cotton to much to any roan hair in thier pens.

Comment

Galloway, Highland, Murray Greys and grassfarmer's Luings have been reared on grass for centuries - it doesn't get much better than them for grazing.

Comment

welcome to the sight EBusch, nice to see a new 'face'.

Comment

Well, I'm not that knowledgable on the different breeds yet, but I do know that the farmer I know Grass feeding has black Angus, although you're right, I think it might be tricky to keep your weights up consistently.

I guess it also would depend on climate and topography. Here in NW Ontario I think it's known as grass growing country (the legal kind) as we do get a lot of rain.

I'm just interested in how difficult it is to switch, is it a big process?

Comment

Thanks emrald1, good to be here

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...