• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cattle liner prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cattle liner prices

The rising price of fuel has made the cost of transporting cattle out of this world. We usually ship pairs about 5 and half hours north each spring to our northern ranch, then home again in the fall. About 10 years ago the price of a liner-load of pairs (41 or 42) was about $750. Last year the price was about $1,000.

This spring we only shipped 100 pairs up north instead of our normal 300 with grassers eating the rest of the grass. That was, including bulls, three liner loads at $1,300 each which I thought was high at the time. The yearlings we bought up there so transportation costs weren/t so bad and they were sold right off the pasture a while back.

But those 100 pairs, now with bigger calves equaling 4 liner loads to come home are going to cost about $2,300 each liner, for the return trip. That's an increase of $1,000 a load in less than half a year!!! And we have a good relationship with our truckers who I do not think are ripping us off.

There are a few ranchers in my area who, like us, ship cattle either to northern Alberta range or to Sask. I don't see how we can do this next year if fuel prices remain high. Consider that at $2,300 a liner load that is $56 up there and about $79 back per calf (given that another liner is required for the bigger calves on the return trip). That's a total of roughly $135 each calf just to get them to the pasture!!

I don't think that will work for too many ranchers even with the cheaper land prices in those areas. So this might call for a re-think.

Surely this problem must be felt by all sectors of the economy that depend on the transportation of goods???It's amazing to me that we aren't in a recession yet. How are these other areas of the economy operating?

kpb

KBP, it's a good question in other sectors as well like you mentioned. Take electrical cable that I use, for example.

First of all, the stuff is made from copper, which uses fuel to mine. Then more fuel to smelt, and more to ship.

The plastic jacket is made from natural gas, using more NG for energy in production. Then more to make it into a cable, and then more to truck it out.

With all of that compounding, I don't know how long it can sustain that way.

Since we don't have time to wait for rail in North America, we can't get shipping savings like in some other countries.

Comment

Kpb even though rates have increased substantially that seems high for the trip you are describing. Recents rates for full loads are Grand Prairie to Strathmore are about $2100, Clyde to Strathmore about $1300 and Ponoka to Strathmore about $800. Hope this helps.

Comment

well kpb seems highyou liner prise
        we move cattle all over this time
        ayear.fat cattle to usa61000 gross to miller usa around 2400 dollar plus vett
        check etc totall come,s to about100 dollar/head how you like this figures ???
        lakeside not killing, brings these cattle to 84 to 85/100 .
        your high calve price today at700 lbs
        brings over 900 dollar yes these go back
        in our feedlot .i like it or not that the way it is ! so the cow calf man
        is in the saddle again.

Comment

...kpb...even though we do our own trucking... i had a trucker-owner tell me the other day he had increased his rates 30% since last spring... so it does seem the price is high...

Comment

thx BFW and you other fellas--I was quoted $4.50 per kilometre which seemed high to me at the time but, like I said, I've used these truckers for a long time, with a fair number of loads each year and didn't think they'd over-charge. Now I guess I'll shop around a bit. Still the overall increase does kind of make you think about what direction the overall economy is headed.

kpb

Comment

KPB are you sure that shouldn't be $4.50/mile instead of kilometre. That would likely account for the difference.

Comment

We've felt the crunch alot in the supply shop I work in. I run the order desk and look after inventory/stock, what-have-you. I see the Hiway-9 bills every morning, and they flat out told us 2 weeks ago that their fuel surcharge, which is added to every single item, would be going up 17%, and maybe more next month.

If we have a pallet of flanges come from one supplier, we get charged by the pound for it, plus a percentage of weight for fuel. If they haul a 5lb. box from a different vendor - on the same load - we get the same charges for that package, too; and it doesn't matter if we have one box coming or 10 pallets.

So yeah, you could say it's effects are felt everywhere.

Comment

Well can't say I'll be sorry to see less Albertan's up here bidding up pasture rent-thought Ralphie's prosperity bonus would take care of the expenses. Trucking is going to suck but maybe will keep some cattle closer to home-which in my case will free up some local grass. Like an old cowboy told me 'It ain't right but that's the way it is'

Comment

I phoned my trucker back this morning and, as BFW suggested, the price is $4.50 a mile not a km. So what can I say??--I'm either getting senile or hard of hearing I guess. At $4.50 a mile the cost will still be up a fair bit but not $1,000. I still wonder about the effect of high fuel costs on the overall economy and feel we may be heading for a slowdown as businesses pull back on their spending.

kpb

Comment

I can see it coming to the point where there practically won't be any parts at the dealerships unless you order them in.

Comment

Isn't it amazing how these dratic events bring prices up but it bringing them back down takes a lot more time, if ever. Bought gas up in Winfield Alberta today for 88 cents a litre. Will the trucking bills decrease when the gas prices drop further?

Comment

I drive truck to keep the wheels on the farm & in 9 hours (500 miles) with a loaded super B I burn 450 litres so at $1/litre thats $50/hr for fuel. Super B's pull much harder than tridems so I would figure they are burning $40 or less & hour for fuel. I like most highway drivers make $0.40/mile or $24/hr plus unloading time. So $65/hr minimum in direct costs today. Only 3 years ago a 7 axle log truck was only making $85/hr Cost for drivers is going to increase in the future it's in the works to reduce drivers hours of work & soon you will nead a training coarse to get a class 1

Comment

<Quote> I drive truck to keep the wheels on the farm & in 9 hours (500 miles) with a loaded super B I burn 450 litres so at $1/litre thats $50/hr for fuel.

I like most highway drivers make $0.40/mile or $24/hr plus unloading time. So $65/hr minimum in direct costs today.

Fuel Costs = $0.90 / mile
                            Trucker = $0.40/ mile Thats $71/hr
                            and I have never seen a truck from Alberta that only drives at 55 mpg, so where does the rest of the money @ $4.50/mile go? Thats a lot to put into just paying for the truck.

I don't truck for hire so please do me the math.

Comment

<Quote> I drive truck to keep the wheels on the farm & in 9 hours (500 miles) with a loaded super B I burn 450 litres so at $1/litre thats $50/hr for fuel.

I like most highway drivers make $0.40/mile or $24/hr plus unloading time. So $65/hr minimum in direct costs today.

Fuel Costs = $0.90 / mile
                              Trucker = $0.40/ mile Thats $71/hr
                              and I have never seen a truck from Alberta that only drives at 55 MPH, so where does the rest of the money @ $4.50/mile go? Thats a lot to put into just paying for the truck.

I don't truck for hire so please do me the math.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...