• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good year for cattle?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good year for cattle?

Found some time yesterday to take a leasurely walk through the cows at home and also the yearling heifers. Seems to me the calves grew exceptionally well this year and the heifers are fat and sassy! I thought perhaps with all the rain and cold weather this year the grass might be a bit "washy" but I guess not.
    I also did a long walk through the banked grass and it seems to be thick and lush and curing nicely. I call these my serenity walks! Always come away feeling refreshed after a good walk through the cows.

Cattle seem to have done very well here too,pastures didn't burn out this summer.The last few days have been a bit hot and humid though,have seen the cattle lying in the shade panting!Now if the price keeps going the right way until the calves go.
    What do you think of Martin talking tough turkey to the U.S. on the eve of Canadian Thanksgiving,too little ,too late,not tough enough, he says "watch it,but you can still count on us for eneregy" woopee!! that'll scare 'em.
    I take my my serenity walks up the hill through the sugar maples,alot of colour starting to show.Usually a gray owl hanging around hooting 'who-cooks for-you'.sure beats politics and the daily grind

Comment

I too enjoy getting out and looking at the calves this time of year. Still good pasture here, and the cows are in good shape. I am hoping to get the calves shipped in about ten days, then get the cows settled for winter. Never know when we will get a snowfall that will mean its time to start feeding !
      Lots of liners on the highways yesterday, and some of the bred cow sales are starting.

Comment

...your right emrald...hauled a few cows out of the rimbey area a couple of days ago...lots of liners on the move...

...cowman...after cleaning out the truck from hauling them home...they definitely left some water...lol...

Comment

Well I caught a bit of Martins speech to the New York club and he gave them a lecture about trade deals and the responsibility to live up to a deal. I thought he did a decent job of telling them like it is?
          If America refuses to honor the deal or welches on it what can we do? Right now they pretty well own us.
          I would suggest, instead of Martin threatening to cut off the gas and oil, he should be pursuing a free trade deal with China? Now that would get Americas attention!
          The USA needs to wake up and stop taking us for granted? We have a product everyone wants....oil!

Comment

So emerald if you are dispersing your cows, when do you intend to do that? And what kind of prices are you hoping for?
            I have not been doing the auction market thing so I don't know what calves are selling for and how the early calf run is doing. The mart at Innisfail started their presort a couple of weeks ago and they usually are a pretty good reflection of where calf prices are heading.
            Usually the local marts don't start their bred sales until November/Dec.
            Quite often you see the tax money coming to town then? And I suspect there could be a few people who need to avoid the tax man this year?...Like all the guys who bought those bargain basement calves last year!

Comment

There are a few bred cow sales around cowman but I haven't been following the bred prices. Too early to sell breds I think but who knows with the feed around, and people planning on swath grazing where possible maybe now is the time. I am not dispersing the entire herd, keeping a good bunch of young cows, two and three year olds and a couple older ones, mainly the old gals will go and they won't bring bred price. Just have to get them gone this year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...