• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Environmental Farm Plan...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Environmental Farm Plan...

I see this request at the end of sort your calves.
    We have done one. Not particularly rocket science but a worthwhile excercise for us. We have started making some changes, some that were already planned and a few that were not. The review committee had some good suggestions as well.
    Our thought process was that we had better get involved and sorted out while it was still optional for a couple of reasons.
    1. we can hopefully direct the process and/or be grandfathered in the event of any completely goofy changes in government
    2. access to capital. Both available funding programs and lenders.
    3. to actually have something (anything) on our farm with a written plan and a schedule (we are already slightly behind) as we continue down the path of succession.

Our session was put together by a down to earth presenter and supported by our local AESA representative. We actually learned quite a bit while going through the process.

On the worthwhile of my time scale, probably a 7.5 out of 10 and possibly higher as we access funds to do stuff we were going to do either because we wanted to or we have to.

The Environmental Farm Plan is an excellent tool, the only problem I have with it is that there is no reference to legislation that farmer's must comply with. In some areas the environmental farm plan criteria is more stringent than the current Ag Operations Practices Act which is problematic to say the least. If a farmer can comply with AOPA and still not satisfy the criteria for the EVP obviously there is a hitch in the process. Both processes should align for the good of the farmers themselves.

Comment

I don't think you'll see the EFP guidlines make reference to much legislation, because the whole plan is asking you to volunteer yourself as an environmentally friendly farm, in order to get government money. It's all about going above and beyond the call of duty right now, as I see it.

BTW, I am an assistant to the EFP coordinator in our area of NW Ontario.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...