• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South American beef

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the data suggests that consumers do not care where their beef comes from. There is nothing keeping retailers from voluntarily labeling beef as to country of origin now but the market is not demanding it and is not willing to pay for it.

The impression on this side of the border is MCOOL is more about keeping out Canadian beef than South American beef.

The five main consumers for Brazilian beef exports are: the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Chile, the U.S. and Russia. Egypt, Germany, Iran, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, the European Union 15 are also important markets. The most significant growth markets for Brazilian beef have been Russia and Egypt. Brazilian beef exports continued to be hampered by foot and mouth disease. Brazil plans to push its own rapidly expanding beef exports further into Asian markets, including Japan.

According to http://beef-mag.com/mag/beef_brazil_looks_north/

Production costs are a third to half of what American ranchers face. Brazil's costs are better compared to Australia's grass-fed beef system, but even then, Brazil wins out — at a 15% lower cost of production.

About 90% of all market cattle are sold directly to Brazilian slaughterhouses, the majority of which are small and inefficient by U.S. standards. In Paraná, for example, 33 facilities kill an average of 200 head/day. Another 81 kill 60 head/day. Paraná also has some larger “conglomerate” slaughterhouses — but they're few and far between.
    Beef farmer Edson Gaudêncio, Santo Antonio, Paraná, says this packing structure catches most Brazilians between a rock and a hard place.
    “With the small slaughterhouses, you never know when you will get paid,” he says. Cattle checks often take more than a month to be delivered. “And the bigger slaughterhouses that can guarantee payment sometimes form cartels to develop one price among them,” he adds.

Comment

Without a doubt the feds are coming. This advisory board is the first move in the old Liberal plan of divide and conquer. In all likelyhood it will bring the lost sheep back into the fold? How do the likes of Peter MacKay defend Albertas wealth while his own constituents are told they can share in the plunder?
      I do believe Ralph played his first card when he announced the $400 thing? Notice we won't get it right away, but probably after the Liberals become more blatant in their attempt to steal our money? If you were a young family who had been promised $1600 how would you feel when it becomes impossible because an eastern government decided to steal it?
      Harper and the Conservatives are caught between a rock and a hard place. No way can they win this thing? Better if the old Reform party had never ventured east? The fact is they should have stayed in the west and not watered down their policies and values in an attempt to woo the easteners?
      There is a woman in western Canada making some noise? Maralyn Burns? Going to take a run at the Alberta Alliance leadership? She talks a tough game...put up the firewalls and move Alberta into a position of strength!
      If Ralph folds on this one we might just see a massive shift in support to a party that will stand up for Alberta and defend our resources?

Comment

cowman I am sure that the $400 will be paid out, and possibly Ralph's last stand will be to take on the feds over Albertas resource income.

Comment

emerald: I too think the $400 will be paid out. I think also Ralph might be playing a deeper game here by holding off until later in the year?
          When Gomery makes his first report in November the Canadian citizen should be rightly outraged? I believe at that time the federal Liberals will be looking for a way to divert attention away from their theft? What better way than attack the "oil Barons" in Alberta? Get the easterners in a freanzy over the greedy millionaires taking food out of their childrens mouths!
          It is at that time Martin will play the divide and conquer card? But Ralph will have an ace up his sleeve...he will be able to say to the Alberta public..."There goes your yearly prosperity check! Down to Ontario, Quebec and the maritimes"!
          How do you think that will go over here? Do you think Alberta citizens will gladly hand over their property to their masters down east? Or will they finally rise up in righteous indignation and say ENOUGH! I do believe Ralph is setting up the end of this country and I also expect he knows what he is doing? Should be fun!

Comment

I am sure there is a method to the MADNESS cowman, guess we will have to see how it plays out !!

Comment

This attitude doesn't exist only in politics. It also exists in private industry and in non-profits, where the head office is in the east.

I was born Winnipeg-neutral, and have lived in Ontario and now Alberta. There is a completely different mind-set here - a sense of limitless possibilities instead of staid "United Empire Loyalist" homage to outdated processes. It is an insidious cancer, for which "amputation" (separation) may be the best recourse.

Comment

Separation is NOT the answer. You pipples are being stampeded into believing that line of BS like a flock of 'turkeys'.

Why would you believe what is written by some obscure writer anyway?

This constantly repeated conjecture of 'eastern motives' is getting really, really tiring.

Comment

Ignorance is bliss!

Comment

wilagro: If not seperation, then what? The status quo?
                    We've tried just about everything available, from a proposed triple E senate to forming a party to better our lot in confederation? Results...ZERO!
                    As long as Ontario and Quebec can vote out any kind of reform we literally are a colony of the east and they can make whatever laws suit them? This is democracy... which in reality is mob rule!
                    The majority decide they want your oil they vote to take it and voila they have it! They decide you are going to provide your grain to the benifit of the east and they get it via the CWB! You live in the west, you are too stupid to sell your grain, but as soon as you cross the border into Ontario you get smart enough to market your own product? What is that?
                    Do you enjoy driving on cruddy roads while the Frenchmen get theirs paved...at your expense?
                    You are old enough to remember the days when most of the feeder calves went east to be fed on western barley? Now how was that possible? Well it turns out you were paying the freight on both calves and grain! Before NAFTA just about everything we produced went east and everything we bought came from the east!
                    Did you know that there were two Eatons catalogues back in the days they still operated? One for the west and one for the east, with two sets of prices? The western prices were of course higher...higher than the freight would have cost!
                    I could go on for a week but I think you get my point? You can either be a colonist or you can stand up and be a free man, the choice is totally yours.

Comment

cowman: Not convinced that your position is valid.

Comment

Not "valid"??

Wilagrow...you tend to dismiss any and all suggested Western reactions to the decades of contempt the Liberals and their leaders repeatedly show towards western Canada, other than that we should just continue to take our licking.

I note you never offer any ideas...just take cheap shots at those of us that do. Com'on humor us .... give us some of your solutions...if you have any.

But before you do take note of history...at least 9 different western political initiatives since the thirties, set out, in part, to address the inequities of CON-federation.

But all you can do is insult those who feel there is cause for concern...not only do you need vitimum B...you need to smell the coffee!

Comment

Uve: Good point. I am not in love with the frickin' Liberals but my grandpappy wasn't either. He joined the Liberal party back in the '20s and went to Ottawa as a delegate. He maintained that if one desires change then join the party and work from within rather than squawk away with nobody really listening. I believe he had a valid point there.

We live in a democracy, why not use our democratic privileges for our own betterment.

Gotta go...

Later

Comment

wilagro: We tried that with the Mulrooney government? Pretty well solid support for the PCs from Alberta...it didn't work?
                            Now you are suggesting we should support the Liberals, to see if that works? Or maybe we should be voting for the NDP as they seem to be calling the shots these days?

Comment

Because I don't want to keep repeating history.

Your granddaddy was wrong even though his heart was in the right place. We can not continue to deny the truth our reason shows us!

This is a matter of math, clear and simple!!

Cowman is right and so is Byfield. The Mulrony government demonstrated one very clear fact and that is this. There are more Toronto area MP's than there is in British Columbia.

Any government that is formed with a large component of western MPs will still be out numbered in caucus and therefore the inner circles.

Democracy like ours is really MOB rule and the Lieberal$ exploit this fact brilliantly. You want a real democracy...advocate a constitutional republic with a triple E senate or separate. Separate or Surrender that is the choice...your 70 years have proven that!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...