• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Orleans Refuses Canadian Beef

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn’t it necessary to point out injustice when we see it? Simply saying the U.S.border is closed to our OTM cows and beef, not to mention restricted trade on UTM, and that is how it is and we have to deal with that reality is kind of defeatist. Does it do any good to even mention that the U.S. refused Canadian food aid to New Orleans? Or that the U.S. is still blocking trade in our beef and cattle even though they have found BSE in their herd? Maybe it does some good, maybe not. In a democratic country we tend to believe that change can happen and pressure can be brought to bear to correct wrongs when they occur if enough people point out injustice when they see it.

I believe there are Americans who are fair minded people. Phyllis Fong, USDA Inspector General, comes to mind. And much of the general population in the U.S. is made up of good honest hard working people who want to see the right thing done. However often they are not even aware of how their government deals with other countries, even American friends like Canada. I believe most American citizens would be embarrassed, even angry, to know their government turned away Canadian food aid intended for New Orleans flood victims. They, for the most part, will probably never know. But unless things like this are pointed out how can anyone ever know and nothing ever will get better. An informed population is the very foundation of democracy.

You are very right when you say I can argue with you forever and it won’t change your mind. However I do notice you are not the R-Calf supporter you once were so there is always that slim chance. I tend to think that the discussion of the issue in this forum is noted by people on both sides of the border who are in a position to see change happen.

Comment

Farmers son: You should go into politics! You could probably argue those darned Frenchmen into submission!
      We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Comment

Just a question regarding the Canadian aid for Katrina. I have been watching both CNN and Fox TV and really haven't heard much in the way of reporting on any of our relief efforts.

Comment

I was talking with relatives in the U.S. a few days ago who mentioned they saw quite a bit on TV about Canadian aid. Bush made a speech praising Canada's contribution. Air Canada did some high profile mercy flights which made the news. One Canadian team arrived to help even before the U.S. military.

Sorry cowman, the remark about R-Calf did not come out right.

Comment

I know we help in disasters because it is the right thing to do, but it is nice that we are being acknowledged.

Comment

Instead of being acknowledged, it would be prefered not to get slammed in the media by stories like this one.

The media is pathetic..... bad news sells, and good news gets little if any coverage. Especially by the likes of FOX or the Anti Canadian crews.

Such is life

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...