• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots of Rain!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of Rain!

Started raining last night and it must have been fairly steady and heavy all night.
    Harvest is just getting started here with swathing and some combining. I suspect this will put it back a bit further.
    Haven't had a killing frost yet so with a bit of heat might help the grass grow a bit more? There is still a fair bit of hay to do, both first and second cut! Just wondering how other areas are doing with harvest/pastures/hay? It sure was a strange summer.

I flew in from Vancouver yesterday around noon. there were lots of swathers going west of highway 2, but it appeared as though there had been more rain east of the highway around Nisku. Lots of second cut around, and not much of it has been cut much less baled or in the silage pit. I hope the weather does stabilize because there is a wonderful crop arcoss the province and it would be nice to see it come off in reasonably good shape.

Comment

Some of our neighbours - south of Hardisty - have taken some peas off. Ran about 45-50 bushel/acre. Had a tough time gettin' 'em off the ground mind you. Should be plenty left there for the deer I would think. Pastures have come back alot on our place. The paddocks that were grazed early are lush and deep again. Mighty tempting to graze 'em again, but I know it'll be there for next year.

We had another 1/2" through last night, and it's started up again this morning.

Comment

Have had an inch and 3/10 here west of Leduc since Thursday afternoon and still raining. Nice to hear that you folks in the Hardisty area have good moisture, a lot different than 2002 !!

Comment

Thanks Emrald1. Yeah it's nice to see grass filling in again between the patches of creeping cedar and cactus.LOL

'02 will stay fresh in my memory for years so I won't be heard complainin' about the rain now. I hope the croppers can get everything off in shape though. There's alot of green heads waving in the wheat yet.

My grandfather was whining about the weather and how the custom outfit he hires will never get there to do his stuff until all their own is done. So I took the opportunity to remind him that he's 75, and if he's tired of worrying about the crops, he should just sow 'er all down. All he could say was,"Why would I want more grass?!?"

What were we arguing about on some thread a while back cowman and cswilson? Something about there's more variance within breeds than between 'em? I guess that's proven true in my family.

Comment

You'd almost think he was German, eh Kaiser?

Comment

All right Mister. Enough of that.
              We're coming up on 3 inches here in Crossfield since yesterday. I think Katrina did a flip and ran up against these big rocks west of us. The wind has been gusting upwards to 300 miles per hour all day (or maybe not quite).

You know Darcy, that Grandpa of yours has some other options as well. He could hand that land over to a nice young fellow like myself to look after it for him.

Comment

Just east of Lomond, we have had right on 4 inches and any low spot is starting to look like a lake.

Comment

...another 3 inches here in Spruce View country...its the third time we have had 3 inches or more this summer...the grain guys are starting to complain in this area but for this cattleman...the grass is green and the cows are fat...

Comment

Well Pure Country, I might suggest the old man has been around the block a time or two and might just know a thing or two? Hey if he's 75 and still farming...he must have done something right?
                    Now I don't mean to offend here but I always find it amusing how each younger generation has all the right answers and can never figure out how the "dinosaurs" possibly survived? Must have been blind luck or something?
                    It sure is amazing that Alberta got where it is today with all these old guys who did everything wrong?

Comment

not much different than the way moms raised kids, things are so different now that I wonder how our poor kids and the generations before them ever survived !!! No pre nursery school, pre play school, play school etc., no teachers aides, guidance councillors, clinical pchycolgists etc. Plus the fact that mom applied a good whack on the rear if they were sassy, didn't clean their room or engaged in any other activitiy that was frowned on back when !!

Comment

Got this off of the Environment Canada weather warnings:

A slow moving low pressure system has produced significant rainfalls over southern Alberta during the past couple of days.

Some event totals up to 4 AM include: Pincher Creek 162 mm Stavely 124 mm Claresholm 110 mm Lethbridge 90 mm Waterton park 88 mm Canada Olympic Park (west side of Calgary) 87 mm Vauxhall 77 mm Calgary international airport 76 mm Olds 74 mm Rocky Mountain House 70 mm brocket 70 mm Nordegg 68 mm Hussar 65 mm Brooks 62 mm Drayton Valley 62 mm Bow Valley 54 mm Banff 53 mm

Comment

We had 1.7" off the tail end of Katrina, that's it since late June. Corn silage is pretty well off (we finished Aug 30) and we'll start combining high moisture corn tomorrow, a month ahead of normal. Soybeans are ready to go too. Some of my neighbours no-tilled oats into the corn silage stubble hoping to be able to get a cut of oat balage off to have enough feed but I think we have enough alfalfa.

Comment

dalek: well sure hope it works out for you! We know what dry can be and it sure isn't pretty? Personally I'll always take wet over dry...no matter what!
                            It seems the weather sure can be crazy anymore? I don't know if things are changing but it sure seems something isn't quite right? Sure makes it tougher trying to make some decisions?

Comment

Environment Canada says we're supposed to be hotter and drier than normal right through spring seeding, so it'll probably rain every day until then.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...