• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lazy, hazy, rainy days...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy, hazy, rainy days...

How's everybody doing for rain? We've had 2 1/4" from Monday night to this morning, and it's still comin' down hard. Alot of crops are laying down, though, and the grain folks are frowning a little. It couldn't have been better timing for our late-seeded swath-grazing, and the pastures needed a good soaker, too. Anyway, back to work.

Have a good day all.

Lots of rain here over the past week. a couple of hot sunny days in between rains though. In driving around the central part of the province over the past few days I do notice a lot of crops lying down, and some hay still in swaths.

In this area there is quite a bit of oats cut for greenfeed, and those that silage oats are chomping at the bit to get going before the kids head back to college and they lose their extra hands !

Comment

those days of soda, and pretzels, and BEER. Roll out those -----

Those of us who simply grow grass (the leagal kind) couldn't be happy er.

Another inch and a half here at Crossfield.

Comment

I'd certainly rather be a grass producer than a grain farmer! In this real marginal neighbourhood of mind the crops are soooo green. Chest high oats with not a touch of colour with only a week to go until September. Now another two inches of rain which will keep machinery off the land for another week. Most of the silage hasn't been made yet and there is lots of hay rotting in the field. What a stress being a grain farmer - seeding
        crops with record high fuel prices and now having a severely shortened harvest window before winter with the prospect of low grain prices. It's enough to make a sane person seed it all back to grass!

Comment

Rain?What rain?We haven't had any since the monsoons ended probably 8 weeks ago.The pastures are near done and I've got forage and timothy seed planted that's gonna need a good soaker soon if it's going to amount to anything for next year.I'd sure like a good inch or so before we get harvesting the rest of these worthless grain crops so if you guys out west have any extra send her this way!

Comment

randy drove by your place a couple of times over the last week, flew over it last night but could not see those good cattle in all the damn fog and rain !!!!
            Looks good long the highway, lots of grass and some pretty shiny cattle !!!

Comment

Well in this country you can never get enough rain...just wish it didn't all come in a 48 hour period!
              Pretty tough for the guys trying to still put up hay or silage?
              It would be helpful if we could get a few days of summer this year! The crops are pretty close to being ready to swath although the canola still needs some heat to get there. Still looks like one hell of a crop even though there seems to be a lot of leaf disease this year on any cereals that weren't sprayed with Tilt.
              Don't know how much rain we got in the last two days but it was substantial! Hopefully the grass will grow a bit more.

Comment

5 and a half inches 5 miles southwest of Hardisty, and 6 inches in the river bottom. It all fell between Monday night and Thursday morning. Quite a sight to see.

Comment

Just over two inches over two days last week. 3 1/4 to 10 am yesterday, with at least another inch over the night, and still raining.
                  Whatever makes grass grow, right? I swore after our drought a few years ago (3/8 total from May to end of September) that I would never complain about too much moisture again, and I haven't.
                  Maidstone, Marshall and Lashburn aren't in good shape at the moment though.

Comment

3 inches here last night too-my pens aren't dusty for sure.

Comment

From what I've seen on the Weather Network, it's still heading your way cswilson and smmcgrath. It's raining right now in Hughenden, Wainwright and Lloydminster, but not here in Hardisty.

Bring on the heat!!

Comment

No rain here since late June, and that wasn't much. We have our corn silage almost all off, 6 weeks ahead of normal. A lot of guys that are depending on putting in more corn silage to replace the hay they didn't get are in for a surprise, they're still counting on it not being ready until mid-September and a lot of it is already too late. Our vet has already had two clients with no hay in the barn who went out to check their corn and found it was already too dry to put in the silo.

Comment

Where are you at dalek? Sure sorry to hear about that.

Comment

East-Central Ontario. Finished the corn today. First time we ever chopped corn in August before, let alone finishing
                            May or may not get the remnants of Katrina tomorrow night. I hope so, the well's sputtering tonight.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...