• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R-Calf continues

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R-Calf continues

I heard on the news yesterday that R-Calf will pursue its legal challenge in order to stop importation of cattle from Canada claiming that USDA ruling to not adequatly protect the US industry from BSE. I didn't hear any details? When? Where?

See:
    http://www.canada.com/businesscentre/story.html?id=694472a1-00ea-4f12-8c4d-8038ffe401e6

President Leo McDonnell said while details are still being worked out, the broad plan is to head back to court and to lobby Congress against a U.S. Department of Agriculture ruling that has allowed young cattle from Canada to be shipped again across the border.

"This case is not against Canadians," McDonnell said from his ranch near Columbus, Mont. "This case is against the USDA. This is about a rogue agency liberalizing our import standards in the extreme to the point where we have some of the lowest import standards in any modern beef consuming country."

R-CALF maintains the USDA rule does not adequately protect American consumers and cattle herds.

McDonnell said his group has two basic legal options.

It can file for a rehearing before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court and hope that a broader group of judges will consider more scientific evidence which R-CALF says bolsters its case.

Or it could continue to push for a permanent injunction against Canadian beef before District Court Judge Richard Cebull in Montana.

Comment

R-CALF continues their insanity by trying to pretend they have the interests of the American cattleman at heart. The USDA is a "rogue department" that won't insure the safety of agricultural products? Now that is sure reassuring!
      Why don't they just come out and say "Don't eat any beef as it all will kill you"? Is R-CALF really an off shoot of PETA?

Comment

The whole reason for R-calf's existance is to scare people into donating MONEY to "the Cause". It creates gainful employment for those at the top. No different than any other "cause" that solicits donations from stupid people. The very last thing R-calf wants is to enter into a battle that they can win. The minute that they win the reason to donate is gone.Wake up people!! What kind of money do you think that Dennis McDonald(lawyer) recieves from The Rancher's/Cattlemen Action Legal Fund???(R-calf).
        What really gets me is just how stupid some of these R-calf die hards really are. Right Willowcreek/Oldtimer???

Comment

Well turden- at this stage R-CALF is the ONLY organization that really looks out for the cattlemans interest- without being completely tied to the special interest groups made up by the multinational packers, AMI, and Texas feeders...There is no other choice-And as cattle prices decline in the next few years, like I believe they will, you will see R-CALF's membership and influence expanding- possibly as much as two fold in the next couple years....

And in future years as the South American unlabeled beef pours into the US and Canada thru Central America and Mexico, to be sold as generic product by your buddies the packers, Canadians may come to see that R-CALF was right on about the need to identify, promote, label and market your beef rather than to allow Tyson and the boys to pass it off as generic product.......

Comment

Come now Oltimer, "the only choice" is very likey the reason there is any membership in Rcalf. Those who see beyond the backward protectionist attitudes of Rcalf leadership yet do not agree with packer domination and leverage HAVE NO CHOICE. And that is too bad. However you would think that those members who see the completley detructive tactics of using BSE to futher the motives of the protectionist would wake up and smell the roses.

On the South America and Brazil front Old man. you need to be afraid. That crap beef can and will compete with your southern states okie meat. Canada has no worries there. Push you COOL all you want, it will only benefit a superior Canadian product.

Comment

OK Oldtimer. Name one thing in which R-calf has been successful in accomplishing ,long term.They lose EVERY BATTLE THAT THEY ENTER. Show me just how "worth it" all of your membership dues and donated calf auctions have really been.
              Keep on sending them more and more money Dick, Dennis McD. needs another new SUV!! Just maybe if you send enough cash Leo and Bill will start speaking in tongues again!
              Does Kathleen Kelly dress up like Tammy-Faye Baker at R- calf fundraisers???
              BOZO!!!

Comment

randy- The feelings of the whole US public is changing- this is one of the reasons you see such a dramatic increase in R-CALF membership and will continue to see it raise...The almost defeat of CAFTA (it did not have the votes until the President threatened, bullied, and promised billions $ in pork to Congressmen in the last hour) shows the failed policies of NAFTA and the continuing lack of faith in global trade...This along with booming fuel and consumer goods prices, the war now going on in Mexico and along our southern border which has created a devestating illegal alien problem, along with the Iraq war opposition, is creating a backlash that could add several Democrats in Congress next year and might even put a Democrat in the White House in 08- God forbid if its Hilary...NCBA pooped in their own nest last election by endorsing and openly supporting several Republicans including President Bush...Do you think if the Dems get back in power they will forget this? R-CALF remained neutral and stands a very good chance of becoming the ONLY cattle organization of any clout in the coming decade.....NCBA will not admit it publicly, but when you talk to old members they'll confirm that NCBA has had a huge drop in membership--I read somewhere that SD which years ago had thousands of NCBA members now has 120...
                I don't agree with every action R-CALF takes or the way they go about every process, but in the long run they are the only cattle organization out there fighting for the welfare of the US cattleman- be it for bad or for good....

Comment

Well OT, I'm wondering?

who's turden?

Comment

"in the long run they are the only cattle organization out there fighting for the welfare of the US cattleman- be it for bad or for good...."

In the short run R-Calf is the organization that is saying beef is not safe to eat. With people like that fighting for your welfare who needs enemies. R-Calf crossed the line of reason and sense when they took to attacking the safety of North Americas beef in order to justify their protectionist policies.

Comment

Willowcreek, I can empathize with cattle producers in the US who are experiencing loss of farm income for much the same reason as Canadian farmers are, or worldwide for that matter; rising input costs coupled to lack of leverage in price setting.
                      RCalf no doubt appeals to those farmers who are fighting to make an honest living.

I find it difficult to compare NCBA to RCalf, however. NCBA and its somewhat parallel entities in Canada, CCA or ABP have a very broad mandate and represent several sectors of the beef industry. For example, ABP represents the primary producer through checkoff dollars, but feedlots also pay this checkoff. Industry representitives (cattle buyers, truckers) are now also represented at the board level. Each sector has somewhat different perspectives and bottom line.

Also, checkoff dollars are spread thinly over numerous activities including agriculture research, beef promotion in addition to government affairs (consulting and lobbying).

R-Calf mandate appears to be very simple by comparison in that there mission is to protect members markets at any cost ".fighting for the welfare of the US cattleman- be it for bad or for good.... " your words. I agree with farmers_son in that "R-Calf crossed the line of reason and sense when they took to attacking the safety of North Americas beef in order to justify their protectionist policies."

I suspect there are many producers in Canada that would appreciate an organization like R-Calf that would fight for their interests exclusively, but more fairly. Doing serious harm to the Canadian cattle industry in the short term, however, cannot serve your cause in the long term if your arguments are not sound and honorable.

Comment

Pandiana- Do you think its truly possible for a group to fairly represent all the sections of the beef industry without having to give concessions to one or the other? Seems to me that all the sections- cow/calf, feeder, packer, retail are all competing for the lowest purchase cost with the highest resale price- which causes many conflicts of interest- especially when it comes to trade agreements and legislation...This has occurred in the US with the NCBA, with the NCBA lately always taking the stand of backing the packer and retail with the idea that if they do good the profits will trickle down to the cattle industry...But as was proven with the Canadian situation that is not the case...The trickle down theory could leave you dying of thirst....The cattle industry in both countries needs a "cattlemans group" representing that stage of the game, same as the packers have their AMI...

Comment

I would agree, willowcreek, that each sector of the cattle industry, taken on its own, is a distinct business, and I also agree that in order to be profitable they would endeavor to pay the least for their inputs. And yes, I also believe this creates a conflict of interest situation in an organization that 'serves' all sectors of the industry.

Our agriculture organizations parallel the Agriculture industry, and unfortunately, a lot of the decision making power and lobby stays at the top where the money originates. From the top down, every sector keeps as much profit as they can in their pocket. The only trickle down is if their pocket has a hole it it.

I do believe, on the other hand, that the associations attempt to fairly represent their generic members. The strongest voice will be heard first. It's up to the members to change things they don't like in a free enterprise democratic society.

Comment

"Primum non nocere" First do no harm, that should be the motto of all industry groups. R-calf included, they'd cut off their foot to save their toes thats the level of the logic employed there.

Comment

Willowcreek, How about it? Name one long term objective,that is to the benefit of grassroots producers, that R-calf has been succesful in accomplishing that would justify the millions of dollars they have raked in through membership dues and rollover calf auctions. Just one.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...