• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lakeside Labor problems

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lakeside Labor problems

There was a quote by a Lakeside official in the local paper that a strike looked imminent! Apparently Ralphs mediator isn't getting very far?
    The union is asking for the same deal Cargill and XL gave their employees so what is the problem? I mean if IBP can't compete with the likes of XL on wages just how efficient are they?
    I suspect IBP intends to break the union...probably their intention all along? Then they can procede to ignore labor laws and run the plant like you would in some jungle!
    I think in a situation like this the Alberta government should have the power to tell IBP they have to pay the same as the other packers...or close their doors! If they had the power to do that I think you would see this garbage end real quick! These damned scoundrels come up here and think they'll run this damned country however they see fit? We really need to see this bunch of lowlifes gone!
    It is almost painful at times to see Cargill lumped in with these scumbags? Cargill is no angel but they aren't at that level?

only if the province can declare the packing industry an essential service can they stop a strike. Unions are pretty strong and I am sure they have a plan up their sleeve to deal with IBP, but if the employees are locked out or strike they likely won't be able to sustain themselves for long. Many of the IBP employees are from other countries and it is doubtful if they have much of a contingency fund in place . Many of them could find work in other communities where there is a labor shortage in many trades, hourly work etc., but not necessarily in the packing industry. Too bad that some of the smaller packing plants aren't up and running, they could no doubt use already trained staff. Its unfortunate that all employees in the same industry aren't treated equally, it only seems fair.

Comment

I'm sure Maple Leaf in Brandon would love to have them. That way they could get their second shift up and running.

Comment

Just thought of something else. How be some Maple Leaf guys set up a recruiting office in Brooks? That may put a different spin on it. LOL

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...