• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kato, info please.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kato, info please.

When the Riding Mountain area had it's outbreak of TB a few years back, who paid for the testing? I can't quite remember. TB was just discovered in Minnesota in a herd close to the MN-MB border. 21 animals were tested and found infected and now the state is going to kill off a 1,000-head herd. The state is blaming the white-tail population as being the carriers. Scares the hell out of me as we live 2 hours away and there are no shortage of white-tails along this entire portion of the border.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5505038.html

In response to your question CFIA paid for the actual testing. Compensation is based on market value of the animal up to 2500.

Comment

That's absolutely correct. It was a lot of work for those living in the zone, too. The cattle needed to be put through the chute twice, three days apart. Once to inject the tuberculin, then again to read the result.

They are still testing, and have some pretty strict restrictions on the movement of cattle out of the zone around Riding Mountain National Park. Permits are needed, and cattle are all tracked.

It's scary when it gets into the deer. Riding Mountain is mainly an elk based problem, but I think they have found a deer with TB too. A lot of deer were culled in that area. Last year they allowed higher limits on deer to thin the herd.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...