• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a lively life!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a lively life!

Just got in from the bloody merry-go-round! We had this older cow...out in the sticks...who finally decided she would honor us with a calf.
    Unfortunately her calf was a halfwit who decided he was too stupid to suck on his own! Now picture this: Brush pasture twelve miles from home,no corrals, no horse, big 1500 lb. cow and not the sweetest old girl in the bunch?
    Anyway we corner baby and momma and I rope her and snub her up to a willow...after she runs us over a few times! With a lot of fighting I get a halter on her, hook up the old paralyzing trick and throw her down! Hold that ravenous, but totally retarded baby in there and get his gut full!
    Hopefully tommorrow morning this idiot will have got the idea?
    Come home and the lease operator has left the gate open and the yearlings have left the country! Finally locate them and herd them home...drag my butt in for supper and find the old lady lit out for Calgary! Have a big juicy steak on the grill...does life get any better than this?

Now cowman it was difficult for me to understand what had upset you more, the snotty cow; dumb calf; lease gate open, or your better half heading to Calgary !! During your episode with the cow you didn't by any chance have time to video the proceedings did you ? You could have won a bundle of money on the Funniest Video's show I am sure.
    One thing about your experience, it's not unique, we've all been there and done that and cussed a blue streak in the process !!

Comment

...thought you sold the cows...finding it a little hard to leave the business...lol...maybe one eye Jack will hire you on as a rodeo consultant with all that experience...

Comment

Had a young heifer of ours drop a calf last week. She had obviously recently freshened, but we couldn't find the calf anywhere. It hadn't looked like she had been suck so we went looking around for a carcass of the wee one. Water up to our knees, mosquitoes as big as bombers, and the sun shining hot. This is bush pasture where we had had to walk a mile just to get to. Spent nearly 3 hours looking before we figured it was a goner. Walked back the way we came and here's a new calf, (No tag) and boy were we ever glad to see that one! AND so was the heifer. Crafty one, she likely just wanted to see how far we would walk to look for her calf. I'm sure she knew all along where it was!

PS.........always check your bug dope can BEFORE you go to the pasture.

Comment

I can sympathise Woolybear, I did nearly the same thing after moving the herd into a pasture with a big slough in the evening. In the rush to get in the youngest calf got seperated from it's mum and vanished. Cow was frantic trailing around after me through water and bush hoping I would lead her to her calf. Gave up at dark and headed back next morning to resume the search fearing a drowning - of course the first pair I came to were the ones I was looking for. Nature manages just fine most of the time - but we never trust her!

Comment

How much swelling do you guys usually get from a shot of 8way vaccine? Nailed myself in the knuckle this morning and she's pretty big tonight.

Ain't it a lovely life!

Comment

Did that a few years ago Randy and am still here to tell the tale, you should call the doc to see if there is a shot to counteract any reaction.

Speaking of mothering up cows and their calves, the neighbour sorted off 30 pair and hauled them forty miles to pasture last week, only to find a calf bawling like crazy when they got home.
              They sorted out a cow with twins without remembering she had more than one calf so ended up with on twin out with her and one at home.
              They had to bring the entire herd in that was at home, sort off the calf, hook up the trailer and haul it to its momma !!!

Comment

Emerald is there nobody can rope a calf in your country lol.

Comment

Randy, get your butt to the Dr. - that's nothing to fool with, especially in a joint. Ol'man did the same - his finger is not as flexable as it use to be - he waited 2 wks (and $10 per pill later)to see a Dr.
                  PS: your finger will get huge with swelling and shed its skin like a snake .... repeatedly!!

Comment

cwilson, neighbour lady is recovering from surgery on her shoulder to repair the damage done by getting hammered into the corral fence by a snotty cow, so wielding a rope isn't in the cards for her, and the neighbour that came to help is lame, old and never has roped anything that I know of.
                    You go with the help you can get around here !!!

Comment

I hear ya Emerald I guess were blessed with lots of twine chuckers in this area-I don't even look for 'missing' calves any more in our pasture calvers-you'd never find them anyway and most times the cow just has them parked for a day or so.

Comment

There are good ropers in this area as well but they are usually busy enough looking after their own critters. Mind you most folks around here seem to cowboy with a quad !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...