• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mosquitoes and Cows

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mosquitoes and Cows

On an entirely different note. Maybe someone here can help me check something out this summer. Being from Manitoba, the mosquito capital of the world, I've been thinking about how these little beggars affect the cattle.

A couple of summers ago, we sent our Charolais cows up to be custom grazed with a fellow who raises Angus cattle. He asked us what we had done to the cows to make them so tolerant to mosquitoes. His cows spent the summer evenings practically on the run from being harrassed and bitten. He told us that our cows more or less stood there and watched them go, and didn't seem to be bothered.

We do use fly tags, but I'm not all that convinced that they work all that well for mosquitoes, and we didn't put them on the calves. The calves weren't bothered either.

Could it be the colour of the cattle? I know all the 'experts' say that we should wear light coloured clothing to cut down on mosquito harrassment. Does that work for cattle too?

I'm going to make a point of watching the cattle this summer to see if I can see a difference in how the light and dark coloured cattle cope. The darkest we have is red Limo, but that'll have to do.

It would be interesting to see if anyone here notices the same thing. Do light colours work? Or do we have even tempered cattle? LOL

I don't know about mozzies but the flies go after our charolais bulls a lot worse then the red cows - or is that because they are bulls rather than being white?
    The mozzies are chewing bits out of our red replacement heifers in the evenings just now.

Comment

A Charolais with an even temper kato? That'll be the day!!! LOL! Just kiddin' with ya! I like the great whites! Seriously though, we don't get near the rainfall or mosquito breeding grounds that you do but have had our share of mosquitos...
      My cattle come out of the trees on to the hills in the evening when the little biters are at their worst and it usually keeps them off especially if there's a little breeze. I've never noticed the cattle to have any serious issues with mosquitos. They're certainly more tolerant than I am! They're whitefaces, by the way (brown body in case any of you missed it! LOL!) Have a good night all!

Comment

Same as whiteface, never saw one of our Herefords bothered by 'skeeter's'. On some of the cooler nights, when the flies are down and the skeeters are out, I can rub my hand over the cows' backs and come off with streaks and smears of blood on my hand. I know I would be scratching pretty hard if I let that happen to me...but they could care less.

Only thing the cows really hate are the flies. They will run like hell to get away from them and will stay all day in the bush and then come out at night if they are real bad.

Comment

Could this be a physical thickness of skin/coat issue? I tend to think my purebred luings suffer less than my red angus cows - maybe because they have a thicker actual skin plus a bit of hair protection?

Comment

Hair is definatly a factor. Of course the mosquitos will still find skimpier haried areas (eyes, nose, nose udders) but I think look for less haired cattle if there are "easier" targets, even deer are easier to bite than some good haired herefords. Have a good day all!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...