• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beginning of The End??..The Packing Industry in US

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beginning of The End??..The Packing Industry in US

Gering packer to close; 200 will be out of work
    By the Lincoln Journal Star

GERING — Packerland Packing Co. said it is closing its operations in Gering and will help 200 employees find outher jobs.

"We based our decision to close the Gering plant on the fact that procuring cattle to maintain production levels at this facility is a unique challenge, a situation largely due to the ban on importing cattle from Canada into the United States, and the reduced availability of western range cows and bulls," said Steve Van Lannen, senior vice president of the company, based in Green Bay, Wis.

He said the company is complying with the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, providing a 60-day notice of clsoing.

The plant had been processing about 320 cattle per day, the company said.

My heart bleads for pour Packerland :-(

Truth be known, every time a packer opens his mouth, call him a lier!!

Comment

How about the 200 who have lost their jobs? The population of Gering is less than 8000. Losing 200 jobs in a town that size has got to hurt.

Comment

That's simple - tell them to come up here and work for our beloved packers at a huge raise in pay. But don't be a sucker and feel sorry for the packer as he trys to play with youre emotions.

Comment

kato and wd40:

I have been downsized in my past life and it is a real bear. Especially when you have just purchased a new house or whatever.

In fact because of this I do think of those folks.

But, this is brought on by the word PROFIT.

Packers have created a world of "close and centralize". Those who fall into this are the ones who get hurt while the CEOs and shareholders make the money. In the end the markets people like to complain about are controled by folks that do not know or care about the small towns.

Is this good or bad? It depends on what end of the money trail you are sitting on.

It will continue to happen over my life time and the only way to protect yourself from this is to get off the train. And that is not easy for the average person to do.

Bez

Comment

Packerland is owned by Smithfield. It seems to me that this announcement is meant to pressure the powers that be in the U.S. to reopen the borders to live cattle from Canada.

The closure date is not for 60 days and the Mayor of the town was quoted as saying the closure would be temporary if it happened.

Will Judge Cebull be influenced by this announcement? We don't have all that long to wait to find out. 48 days.

Comment

Smith may well be playing games - that's a good pickup. Nonetheless, the arbitrary interruption of trade has had and will have more bad consequences.

Its hard to get a broiler house construction number, but these artificial high prices due to no live Canadian calves are building alot of broiler houses that will compete for years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...