• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Canadian cattle herd

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Canadian cattle herd

Now I don't have any hard figures but I would suspect the Canadian cattle herd has grown in a big way since May 2003?
    Probably have a record calf crop on the ground this spring?
    I wonder where all these calves will go? We seem to be coping quite well with moving beef in the new reality of the post BSE world?
    There are a whole lot of farmers out there who seem to be doing alright, despite lower prices? The older established farmer, who doesn't owe any money, seems to have adjusted?
    The sad part of this whole thing, is the ones who will go down are the young people who owe money and have high living costs and families to raise?
    If R-CALF is successful in getting Canadian boxed beef stopped then, in fact, the ballgame is over? That would truly call for an end to the dithering?
    Personally I doubt a boxed beef ban will happen...but you never know! I didn't think the day would ever come when I would require a passport to go to the US either! Incidently, that has to be about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of? Talk about killing trade!
    We can't blame the Americans entirely for this latest idiot move...we know they are pretty paranoid right now after the Bush regime decided to "fight just about everyone in the world"! And considering Canada has let just about every criminal or terrorist with a dollar in his pocket into Canada!
    It is very unfortunate for Alberta that our north/south trade and relationship with the USA is being sacrificed so Ottawa and Quebec can continue to capitalize on crooked immigration rules?
    I wonder if people can even comprehend what this new "passport thing" is going to cost us? Have you been to a border crossing lately?
    Apparently Americans are also going to have to have an American passport to get back into the States...well I guess there goes all those wealthy American tourists? But fear not old shrill Annie was on the news saying whats good for the goose is good for the gander and we'll set up our own "passport" requirements!....sometimes I wonder if the inmates are running the asylum?

Pretty much sums it up cowman. Lovely morning though isn't it?

Haven't had a calving season this good in years.

Comment

Yea Randy, it has been a pretty darned good spring. We've pretty well got the 40 cows the boy bought calved out and the rest are just starting. Lost a couple out of the forty but got three sets of twins so still doing pretty good! Just getting started with our other cows.
      Lots of runoff up here in central Alberta and all the potholes are full of water. Sure hope we can get a decent year...weatherwise! Not overly optomistic that things are going to change from an economic point of view, but hoping!
      The boy bought a half section of grass last fall about ten miles away in the hills and the fences are a wee bit "shaky" so we're hoping the frost gets out of the ground early. He also has some rather ambitious plans to run some water lines out to some pastures and do some crossfencing. He seems to have the attitude that I have become his slave or something! So far I am resisting, fairly well, and am concentrating on giving the gophers hell and hitting coffee row every chance I get!

Comment

Got my first calf this morning, should get busier next week.I read a comment yesterday about winter calving.

"A lot of farmers say they can't get away from winter or early spring calving because there is seeding or irrigation or some other work to do later in the year. Maybe that is a good thing, the cow has a job to do and we should let her get on with it. We've developed a labour dependant cow - maybe we need to change that?"

It just seems some folks make life hard for themselves - calving in -40C, deep snow, muddy corrals, scours, pneumonia. No wonder calving is this huge stress period of the year resulting in lack of sleep and physical exhaustion - they are fighting nature and she is one strong competitor.
        My cows have been on banked grass and reduced hay rations(25lbs)since midweek. Life is so much easier when we work with nature. Really enjoyed feeding cows today in the sun and being watching by a bald eagle in a nearby tree.

Comment

Well, personally grassfarmer, I have been fighting mother nature for most of my life...and I must admit she's pretty well got me whipped!
          I wasn't too keen on this late spring calving idea but I also will admit it is pretty nice to just go out and count the new babies in the morning! Bothers me a wee bit at times? I still have that old puritan attitude that life is supposed to be a struggle...but I guess I can learn to live with it!
          The real proof will be in the fall when we see how these darned calves weigh up...but then the boy intends to carry them over so I guess it won't really matter.
          Different times and different ways of doing things I gues? Personally I liked it the old way but times do change?

Comment

Must be you Scottish blood showing Cowman, that old protestant work ethic doesn't sit easy with the work being done in a couple of hours a day ;o)

Comment

pay back is a bitch .. Im just wondering which one of many .. are we now paying for ?? Iraq ? New York?
              And we just keep sending our oil down the pipeline? maybe we should .. stop that at the boarder.. naw.. we dont have the balls.. *sigh. sick of them
              biting us..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...